While packing for a trip or a vacation, we fuss a lot. Scared that we might forget something and it will cause us a big inconvenience. Packing for a hostel is similar, only this time, it’s no vacation and you’re not returning back home that soon. However, there are a few things that you should keep in mind before stuffing everything into your bag, and then be struggling to carry them while traveling. So, What to pack for the hostel?
Tips to keep in mind before starting your packing
1. Pack as light as possible, so that the weight of your bags do not weigh you down, both literally and metaphorically.
2. Be aware of what things might be available to you easily once you reach the hostel so, that you don’t carry them with you.
3. Do not ignore the little things that you might need and might not be readily available in your new place. Pack these with you.
Let’s start with our packing, shall we?
What to pack for the hostel?
Do not carry unnecessary clothing with you that won’t even wear! It’ll only take up space in your room. Pack only the items that you’re comfortable in. Do not forget to keep a comfortable nightwear, a formal wear – as you might need it at various occasions, a party wear – for the college happenings and also a traditional wear – so that you don’t feel out of place during cultural celebrations. You might want to carry winter wear with you as well, depending on the severity of weather conditions at your new place.
- shaving kit or electric shaver/trimmer
If you buy certain aforementioned articles in bulk, you might get lucrative discounts.
Some of the must-have electronics and accessories are:
- Mobile chargers and Power banks – one of the most essential items
- Good quality earphones/headphones – You might need this because, in a shared space, it becomes difficult to cancel out the unnecessary noise. So, invest in good noise cancellation earphones.
- Alarm clock – because you know you can’t rely on yourself to wake up for those early morning classes.
- Extension cord – This might actually be helpful because not everybody is lucky enough to have a charger plug beside their bed!
- Study lamp – This will help you study efficiently even during those unforeseen power cuts.
You’re starting a new college/course/semester, so obviously you’re going to need stationery.
Apart from notebooks and pens – which, also you should buy in bulk to get them at cheaper rates, you ought to have the following:
- Sticky notes
- Scissors, Glue
- scientific calculator
You know, just the things that give you the illusion that you are organized and have your life together. Jokes aside, these items will help you increase productivity.
5. Utensils and Cutlery
These might include:
- spoons and forks
- Air-tight containers
- water bottles
Apart from this, you, along with your roommates, can together purchase an electric kettle – for those Maggi nights, the essential hostel food!
6. Other essentials
Do not forget to keep these items:
- pillow and pillow covers
- socks – as we tend to forget these
- necessary documents and ID proofs
- Raincoats and Umbrella
- Necessary Medicines
- food – you’ll soon be missing your mom’s handmade food, so tell her to pack some snacks for you so you don’t feel homesick that often.
This list is not the end-all and be-all. You may alter it according to your own needs, however, almost all the necessary items that a student might require moving first time into a hostel have been mentioned. Good luck packing!