Civil Engineering is one of the branches that is recruited through the SSC JE exam. This means that if you are a civil engineering graduate, you can apply for SSC JE 2018 – 2019 and if you are successful, you can get recruited as a Junior Engineer (JE) in one of the Central Government departments that recruit through the exam. The SSC JE allows the candidates to give preference for the posts. This is both a good thing but at the same time, this might get confusing. Your entire career would depend on the choices that you make. So, you need to make informed decisions. In this article, we would help you to choose the right SSC JE Post Preference for Civil Engineering.
Few Facts About SSC JE Post Preference for Civil Engineering
When do you need to fill in your SSC JE Civil Preference Order?
You would need to fill in your SSC JE Post Preference for Civil at the time of filling up your online application for SSC JE. Please note that the preference that you have entered once, cannot be changed later. So, choose wisely.
What are the Departments that recruit through SSC JE?
There are a number of Central Government Departments that recruit though SSC JE exam. The Job Profiles are also quite diverse as well. The main SSC JE Departments are given below:
- Central Water Commision
- Department of Posts
- Quality Surveying and Contract
- Border Roads Organization
- Central Water Research Station
- Farakka Barrage
What are the Things that You Should Consider While Filling up the SSC JE Civil Preference?
One of the biggest mistakes that you can do is follow the herd mindlessly. Some of the most popular options like CPWD and MES are popular for a reason. They have facilities and opportunities. But some of you might other jobs attractive. For example, we have seen some candidates prefer NTRO over others, simply because of the excitement of intelligence gathering. So, the best advice that we can give is that you take a look at the job profile of each of the posts, weigh the pros and cons and make your own decision. It would take a lot of time, but it is worth it.
Let us now take a look at the different SSC JE Departments and look at their pros and cons. This would help you make a better choice during filling your SSC JE Preference Order for Civil 2018.
Analysis of the Departments for SSC JE Post Preference for Civil Engineering
Let us take a look at the different departments that recruit through the SSC JE exam
Central Water Commision
The Central Water Commision is engaged in the building and consulting for the infrastructure for irrigation in different parts of the country.
- Posting in major cities in the country
- Transfers are not frequent.
- Work is supervisory in nature and hence field visits are frequent.
Department of Posts
In the Department of Posts, you would be responsible for looking after the stocks and the infrastructure for the posts.
- A large number of vacancies.
- You would be given the authority to pass the bills of the contractors.
- Growth opportunities are less
Central Water Research Station
The CWRS conducts research on how to better utilize the water resources of the country to improve irrigation, potable water availability and the likes.
- Research oriented work
- Posting in major cities
- Less number of posts
National Technical Research Organization
It is the technical intelligence wing that directly comes under the NSA. This deals with the world of intelligence gathering and surveillance. This might look attractive to some.
- Challenging job.
- Job transfers are moderately frequent.
- Less Number of Vacancies
- You have to confidential about your job
You would be looking at the maintenance and the performance of Farakka Barrage in West Bengal.
- You would be posted in Farakka in most cases. This makes this a non-transferrable job.
- Difficult working conditions
- Less number of Vacancies
Border Roads Organization
Border Roads Organization builds roads through the harsh terrains of the border areas. They also build roads in foreign countries like Afghanistan.
- The pride of working for the country without much recognition
- Number of posts are high
- Postings are often in trouble-stricken areas like J&K, the North East, and Afghanistan.
- Transfers are frequent
- The job can turn out to be dangerous and even life-threatening.
Military Engineering Services
This is one of the most sought-after postings in SSC JE. Mostly, you would be looking at the infrastructure of military establishments.
- Military facilities that are the best in the service.
- Excellent growth opportunities
- High number of vacancies
- All amenities would be provided to you and your family
- Job transfers are more frequent than other departments
- Field visits might be more frequent
This is another great service that you can join. You would be dealing with the building of roads and other infrastructure projects of the central government
- Excellent growth opportunities
- Posting in major cities
- Frequent site visits to possibly remote locations
Our Recommendations for SSC JE Post Preference for Civil Engineering
As said before, we believe the SSC JE preference order for civil 2018 should depend on your individual choices. However, we would like to put forward some recommendations from our side. Consider them to be an advice from a friend.
- MES and CPWD are the first two choices for most candidates. However, when it comes to Civil Engineering, we recommend that you keep CPWD above MES.
- Availability of quarters would be an issue, especially for fresh recruits. So, don’t think that you would be given a quarter everything you are transferred. If you don’t like to go through all the hassles, then go for a job that has fewer transfers.
- MES has some of the best amenities that you can wish for. On the other side of the coin, transfers are more frequent, despite being the civilian branch of the Military. So, be prepared for that.
So, these were some of the information that you should keep in mind when you are filling your SSC JE Post Preference for Civil. Hope this article was of help to you. You can also check out the following articles for more help on SSC JE post preference.