If you are a Mechanical Engineering (ME) graduate and you are looking for a government job, then the SSC JE exam 2019 is one of the most lucrative options that you have. If you want to crack the exam, then you should be a good idea about the SSC JE mechanical syllabus. Here, we are going to take a close look at the SSC JE mechanical engineering syllabus and try to understand the best way to approach it.
Understanding the SSC JE mechanical syllabus 2019
The SSC JE Exam 2019 is divided into two stages – Paper I and Paper II. You need to qualify in Paper I to be eligible for the final round, i.e. Paper II. You would encounter questions from Mechanical Engineering (or any other branch that you choose) in both the stages.
Crack SSC JE Mechanical Paper
In Paper I of the SSC Junior Engineers exam, Mechanical Engineering questions would be asked in the ‘General Engineering’ section. This section is objective in nature. Once you qualify in Paper I, you would again have to answer Mechanical questions in Paper II. However, the answers to these questions would be descriptive in nature.
SSC JE 2019 mechanical syllabus is different for each of the papers. Let us now look into them.
SSC JE Mechanical Syllabus for Paper I
If you have opted for Mechanical Engineering, then you would get questions worth 100 marks in Paper I. All of them would be objective in nature. Paper I is a computer-based test.
The SSC JE mechanical syllabus for Paper I is given below:
|General Engineering (Mechanical)
- Theory of Machines and Machine Design,
- Engineering Mechanics and Strength of Materials,
- Properties of Pure Substances,
- 1st Law of Thermodynamics,
- 2nd Law of Thermodynamics,
- Air standard Cycles for IC Engines,
- IC Engine Performance,
- IC Engines Combustion,
- IC Engine Cooling & Lubrication,
- Rankine cycle of System,
- Fitting & Accessories,
- Air Compressors & their cycles,
- Refrigeration cycles,
- The principle of Refrigeration Plant,
- Nozzles & Steam Turbines.
- Properties & Classification of Fluids,
- Fluid Statics,
- Measurement of Fluid Pressure,
- Fluid kinematics,
- Dynamics of Ideal fluids,
- Measurement of Flow rate,
- basic principles,
- Hydraulic Turbines,
- Centrifugal Pumps,
- Classification of steels.
SSC JE Mechanical Syllabus 2019 for Paper II
In Paper II, the entire exam would be on Mechanical engineering (or the branch of engineering that you have opted for). The total marks would be 300 and you would be allotted 3 hours to solve the questions. Usually, candidates are given 6-7 questions and are asked to solve 5-6 of them.
The SSC JE mechanical syllabus for Paper II is given below:
|Theory of Machines and Machine Design
- Concept of simple machine,
- Four bar linkage and link motion,
- Flywheels and fluctuation of energy,
- Power transmission by belts – V-belts and Flat belts,
- Clutches – Plate and Conical clutch,
- Gears – Type of gears, gear profile and gear ratio calculation,
- Governors – Principles and classification,
- Riveted joint,
- Friction in collars and pivots
|Engineering Mechanics & Strength of Materials
- Equilibrium of Forces,
- Law of motion,
- Concepts of stress and strain,
- Elastic limit and elastic constants,
- Bending moments and shear force diagram,
- Stress in composite bars,
- Torsion of circular shafts,
- Bucking of columns – Euler’s and Rankin’s theories,
- Thin walled pressure vessels
- Properties of Pure Substances P-V & P-T diagrams of pure substance like H2O,
- Introduction of steam table with respect to steam generation process;
- Definition of saturation wet & superheated status.
- Definition of dryness fraction of steam, degree of superheat of steam.
- H-S chart of steam (Mollier Chart)
|Properties & Classification of Fluid
- Ideal & real fluids,
- Newton’s law of viscosity,
- Newtonian and Non-Newtonian fluids,
- compressible and incompressible fluids
- Pressure at a point.
- Measurement of Fluid
- Inclined tube
- Streamline, laminar & turbulent flow,
- external & internal flow,
- continuity equation
|Dynamics of Ideal Fluids
- Bernoulli’s equation,
- Total head;
- Velocity head;
- Pressure head;
- Application of Bernoulli’s equation
|Production Engineering Classification of Steels
- Mild steel & alloy steel,
- Heat treatment of steel,
- Welding – Arc Welding,
- Gas Welding,
- Resistance Welding,
- Special Welding Techniques i.e. TIG, MIG, etc. (Brazing & Soldering),
- Welding Defects & Testing;
- NDT, Foundry & Casting – methods, defects, different casting processes
The notification for SSC JE 2019 exam would be out on the 1st of September 2019. The Paper I exam would be in November. So, put the pedal to the metal and give it your best shot!
Preparation Material for SSC JE
SSC JE 2019 Reasoning Syllabus
Civil Engg Syllabus SSC JE 2019
Electrical Engg Syllabus SSC JE 2019
SSC 2019 Detailed Syllabus