Rhodes Scholarships are awarded for pursuing full-time postgraduate studies at the puissant University of Oxford, UK. Rhodes scholars are handpicked from all over the world annually and form an erudite conglomeration of students from many countries.
Each year, there are five scholarships available for India. The first Indian Rhodes Scholars were admitted in Oxford in 1947, and since then over two hundred Indian students have been awarded the scholarship.
The Rhodes Scholarships is administered by the Rhodes Trust, Oxford, United Kingdom. Scholarships are awarded in 20 Rhodes constituencies, i.e. 64 different countries across the globe. Selection Committees for the Rhodes Scholarship are in search of excellent leaders who intend to dabble with global challenges to ‘esteem the performance of public duties as their highest aim and to promote international understanding and peace.
Eligibility Criteria for Rhodes Scholarships
• Nationality/ Citizenship: Candidate must be a citizen of India, holding an Indian passport, or equivalent proof of citizenship.PIO or OCI card holders are not eligible
• Educational Background: Candidates must have undertaken formal study at an educational institution in India for a minimum of 4 of the last 10 years, and have either-
1. Completed a school leaving exam (10th and 12th standard) at a school in India, or
2. Have received, or be in the final year of, an undergraduate degree at a university in India.
• Age Limit: Candidate must be a minimum of 19 years and not have passed his/her 25th birthday on 01st October 2019.
• For medical students and medical doctors who are pursuing, or who have completed, their one-year internship (CRRI), the age limit is extended by one year.
The application process for the Scholarship is as follows:
• Applications for Rhodes Scholarships open during the summer of the year before entry to Oxford. For instance, Summer 2018 applications are essential for entry to Oxford in 2019. Refer the timeline for 2019.
• All the candidates for the Scholarship should read the information that applies universally to all Rhodes Scholarships under the following link: Rhode Scholarships Official Website
• Choice of course at the University of Oxford:
1. Subject to limited restrictions, Rhodes Scholars may read for any full-time postgraduate degree (including BA with senior status over two years) at the University of Oxford.
2. The tenure of the Scholarship is two years, subject always to satisfactory academic performance and personal conduct.
3. Subject to an application process, the Scholarship may be extended for a third year for those who take a recognised route to M.Phil (PhD).
• For the full list of degrees offered by the University of Oxford, visit Official Website of Oxford
• A Rhodes Scholarship is confirmed once a successful candidate has been offered a place at the University of Oxford.
Timeline for the awarding of the global scholarships
• 15 May 2018: Nominations open (Universities)
• 31 July 2018: Nominations deadline (Universities)
• 31 August 2018: Application deadline (applicants)
• October 2018: Shortlisting and preliminary interviews.
• November 2018: Final selection interviews at Rhodes House, Oxford
• Early January 2019: Deadline for applications to Oxford University
• Late September 2019: Arrival in Oxford to commence studies.
Hence, with the aforementioned details, get to know everything you need about Rhodes Scholarship 2019. After all, Oxford University is no less than a dream come true. Happy Applying!