Do you have prodigious interest and unrivaled talent in scientific matters? Are you courageous enough to take the academic challenge of pursuing research in one of the most reputed educational institutions of our country? Then Indian Institute of Science Education And Research (IISER) offers you a five-year research degree in Basic Sciences.
BS-MS In IISER
IISER, an initiative of the Ministry Of Human Resource Development, are a group of seven institutes that are pre-eminent in science education and research. IISERs, widely proclaimed as the IITs of Basic Science, provides an integrated BS-MS program for passionate science students for a five year program. The first two years of the program concerns with the study of core courses in basic sciences. Specialized studies in particular scientific disciplines commences by the third year and spans two years. The fifth year has a research project work.
Admission to IISER program is done through the following three channels :
- KVPY (Kishore Vaigyanik Protsahan Yojana) CHANNEL
- JEE (Joint Entrance Exam) CHANNEL
- SCB (State And Central Board) CHANNEL
7 Institutes under IISER
These are 7 autonomous institutions under MHRD, Govt. of India
- IISER Berhampur
- IISER Bhopal
- IISER Kolkata
- IISER Mohali
- IISER Pune
- IISER Thiruvananthapuram
- IISER Tirupati
Eligibility for IISER
There are a total of 200 seats available in each of the IISERs. The eligibility requirements for applying are as follows:
Age Requirements: There is no specific age limitation.
Educational Qualifications: The candidate must have completed 12th grade with Science stream.
Qualifying Exam: The entrance to this program is determined through the following channels :
- Kishore Vaigyanik Protsahan Yojana (KVPY) Channel: Candidates qualified for KVPY Fellowship are eligible to apply for admission. Additional cut-off criteria are applicable.
- Joint Entrance Exam (JEE) channel: Candidates securing a rank within 10000 in the Common List Ranking of JEE Advanced are eligible to apply for admission.
- State And Central Boards (Scb) Channel: Students who have passed 12th grade with a score equal or above the cut-off percentage as advocated for the respective board by the IISER are eligible to apply for admission after cracking the IISER Aptitude Test. The cut-off for different boards are as follows:
IISER Cutoffs for different boards
|Name of the Board||Cut-off|
|Jammu & Kashmir||86.2|
|Visva – bharathi||83.1|
Candidates belonging to the Non-Creamy Layer of the Other Backward Classes(OBCNC) and PwD are given a 5% relaxation. Cut-off for candidates belonging to SC/ST and Kashmiri Migrants (KM) is 55%.
However, students from State and Central Boards scoring top 1% in the respective boards are usually shortlisted to attend the IISER Aptitude Test. It is to be noted that about 50% of the seats are filled through KVPY and JEE Channels.
Important Dates for IISER
Take note of the following dates if you are one among the many determined to apply for BS-MS in IISER in 2018.
|May 21||Application Portal opens|
|May 24||Application portal opens|
|June 9||Last date for applying till 9p.m.|
|June 11||Application portal opens|
|June 12||Last date for applying till 12 noon|
|June 13||List of allotted candidates published|
|June 14||Submission of SAF* begins|
|June 18||Downloading of Admit Cards for Aptitude Test begins|
|June 19||Last date for submission of SAF|
|June 21||Last date for applying till 12 noon|
|June 24||IISER Aptitude Test|
|June 25||List 9f allotted candidates published|
|June 26||Submission of SAF begins|
|June 30||Last date for submission of SAF|
|July 03||IISER Aptitude Test result declaration|
|July 04||Submission of SAF for first round of allotment begins|
|July 21||Last date for submission of SAF for final round of allotment|
*Seat Acceptance Fee (SAF) is your confirmation to accept the offer. It amounts to Rs. 25,000 for the General /OBCNC/KM Categories and Rs.12,500 for SC/ST/PwD Categories.
Application Process for IISER Admission
Before applying, ensure that you have the following documents:
- Image of your passport size photo in jpg/png/bmp format not larger than 2 MB in size.
- Image of your mark sheet in jpg/png/bmp format not larger than 2 MB in size.
- If you are applying through JEE/KVPY Channel, you will have to provide the registration details for the respective exams.
- Be able to use online payment methods.
How to apply for IISER
- Sign up using your valid email ID on the official website (Link given below).
- Create a password that has 8-16 characters with at least a Capital letter, a number and a special character. Enter your name as in official records. Once entered, your name and email ID cannot be changed.
- After verifying your Email ID, you can log into your account.
- After creating your account, you can enter into the six or seven staged application process depending on the course you are applying for. Provide your personal, academic and other details as requested.
- During the process, you will be asked whether or not you need FLOAT option. Choose YES if you need to be reconsidered in further allotments if you did not get the IISER of your choice.
- After each level, when you click the Next icon, what you enter will be automatically saved.
- The last step is that of online payment.
APPLICATION PORTAL IS OPEN NOW.
IISER Admit Card
After registering for the exam, download the admit cards which are made available as scheduled. This year you can download the admit cards from 18th June. To download the admit card, log into your account using your username and password in the official website. Remember admit cards are the hall tickets. So make sure that you carry the card to the examination hall.
IISER Aptitude Test
This exam is to be attempted by those who apply through the SCB Channel.
The syllabus generally covers NCERT syllabus for 11th and 12th grade. The detailed syllabus for the exam is as follows :
- MATHS : Sets, Relations and functions, Trigonometric Functions, Inverse Trigonometric Functions, Principle of Mathematical Induction, Complex Numbers and Quadratic Equations, Linear Inequalities, Permutations and Combinations, Binomial Theorem, Sequences and Series, Straight Lines, Conic Sections,, Introduction to Three Dimensional Geometry, Limits and Derivatives, Mathematical Reasoning, Statistics, Probability, Matrices, Determinants, Continuity and Different ability, Application of Derivatives, Integrals, Applications of integrals, Differential Equations, Vectors, Three dimensional Geometry, Linear Programming and related areas.
- PHYSICS : Physical World and Measurement, Kinematics, Laws of Motion, Work, Energy and Power, Motion of Systems of Particles and Rigid body, Gravitation, Properties of bulk matter, Thermodynamics, Behavior of perfect gas and kinetic energy, Oscillation, Waves, Electrostatic, Current Electricity, Magnetic effect of current and magnetism, Electromagnetic Induction, Alternating Current, Electromagnetic Waves, Optics, Dual Nature of Radiation and Matter, Atoms, Nuclei, Electronic devices, Communication Systems and related areas.
- CHEMISTRY : Some Basic Concept of Chemistry, Structure of Atom, Classification of Elements and Periodicity in Properties, Chemical Bonding and Molecular Structure, States of Matter, Thermodynamics, Equilibrium, Redox Reactions, Hydrogen, The s-block Elements, The p-block Elements, Organic Chemistry – Some Basic Principles and Techniques, Hydrocarbons, Environmental Chemistry, The solid state, Solutions, Electro chemistry, Chemical Kinetics, Surface chemistry, General principles and processes of isolation of elements, The p-block elements, The d- & f-block elements, Coordination compounds, Haloalkanes and halo arenes, Alcohols, phenols and ethers, Aldehydes, ketones and carboxylic acids, Organic compounds containing nitrogen, Bio molecules, Polymers, Chemistry in everyday life and related areas.
- BIOLOGY : Diversity in the living world, Structural organization in animals and plants, Cell structure and function, Plant physiology,, Human physiology, Reproduction, Genetics and evolution, Biology and human welfare, Biotechnology and its application, Ecology and environment and related areas.
Exam Pattern for IISER
IISER Aptitude Test is an OMR based offline 3-hour exam that has a total of 60 MCQs. Question papers are set in both English and Hindi. The question paper is divided into 4 sections namely Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry and Biology. There will be a total of 15 questions from each of these sections. The maximum marks for the exam is 180 with 45 marks for each section. Each 9f 5he correct answer will be awarded 3 marks and the penalty for wrong answers is 1.
For further analysis of the syllabus and pattern, go through the modal question papers released by IISER which are generally past-year question papers
IISER Exam Result
The results of IISER Aptitude Test of 2018 will be declared on 3rd July. Once the results are out, you can get the results on their official website. Roll numbers of the passed candidates will be published.
Once your roll number appears in the seat allotment list, you can download the Offer Letter. As a sign of your acceptance, you will have to pay the Seat Allotment Fund which amounts to Rs.25000 for General/OBCNC/KM categories and Rs.12500 for SC/ST/PwD categories. If you are not allotted to the IISER of your choice and you have opted YES for FLOAT option, you can ask for a change in the IISER to which you are admitted. Then they publish a Second Round Allotment List. If you are admitted to the IISER of higher preference,your name will appear again in the second list. Prescribed candidates are requested to download the Offer Letter and pay the SAF to confirm their admission. Then, you will have to report at the respective IISERs on the prescribed dates. Carry with you the essential documents as are prescribed.
For further information and notification with regard to the exam and course, visit the official website :
Attempt this exam for a world-class education in the widely recognized institution. Expose yourself to the broad spectrum of the vast world this field unfolds. Good luck for your attempts!