The section of General Awareness is widely regarded as the one having relatively easier questions in any banking exam. IBPS Clerk Mains 2017, like its previous versions, will have a paper on General/Financial Awareness carrying 50 marks out of the 200 marks in total. Although the exam is less than 3 months away, candidates need to prepare according to a strategy for all sections. Read below to know the preparation tips for General Awareness in IBPS Clerk Mains 2017.
How to prepare for General Awareness – IBPS Clerk Mains?
Candidates are advised to go through the new exam pattern thoroughly before touching upon any topic to prepare for the IBPS Clerk Mains 2017.
|S.No.||Section||No. of Questions||Maximum Marks||Sectional Duration|
|1||Reasoning Ability & Computer Aptitude||50||60||45 minutes|
|2||English Language||40||40||35 minutes|
|3||Quantitative Aptitude||50||50||45 minutes|
|4||General/ Financial Awareness||50||50||35 minutes|
Around 40 % of the paper belongs to this section and 35 minutes is given to solve the paper. This calls for an organized preparation strategy which involves delineating the syllabus with the help of classification.
The first step is to classify various topics into two categories in general awareness for which the details are given in the table below:
|Current Affairs||Static GK|
|National Current Affairs||Agriculture Seasons and various crops produced in India|
|International Current Affairs||Terrorist groups|
|Sports Current Affairs||White Revolutions|
|Science, Technology, Space & Defense Current Affairs||Wildlife Sanctuaries/Parks|
|Current Affairs Yearbook||States, Capitals, and CMs|
|Person in News/Awards||Dams in India|
|Economy current affairs||Major Fault lines in the world|
|Festivals around the world|
|Important rivers and towns|
|Currencies of different countries|
The next step is to identify the topics needed to be prepared for financial awareness:
- History of Banking in India
- Organizations: RBI; NABARD; Planning Commission; 5-year plans; Finance Commission; World Bank
- Reserve Bank of India’s role in Indian banking system.
- Economic/ Financial terms & concepts: GDP; GNP; PPP; HDI; Inflation; WPI; CPI; IIP; SLR; CRR; Repo rate; Reverse Repo; Bank rate; Mutual Funds, Open Market Operations; Money supply
- Foreign Exchange reserves of India.
- Different kind of accounts and corresponding interest rates
- Non-Banking Financial companies: Definition, Difference from bank etc.
- NPA and SARFAESI
- Acts, Committees & legislation: Budget 2015; Economic Survey 2015, Railway Budget 2015; Companies Bill 2013
- Banking services: Assets, liabilities and working capital of a bank; NEFT; RTGS; Banking Correspondence
agents; Bancassurance; Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojana
- BASEL norms
- Financial Inclusion and various initiatives for it.
- Types of Markets, Money and banking instruments
- Reverse Mortgage Loans.
- Priority Sector Lending.
- Banking Abbreviations, terms, and concepts.
- Headquarters of Banks
Now that we know what topics are asked in a banking exam like IBPS Clerk, let’s venture into the type of questions that can be expected:
|Current affairs||1. What is the budget for Mars mission of India?
2. Venue of Next SAARC summit?
3. Where is the venue for next Hockey world cup?
4. Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Prize for Physical Sciences 2015
5. SAARC summit 2014
6. Nobel Prize was awarded to May-Britt Moser and Edward Moser in which discipline?
|Banking Awareness||1. Acronyms of RTGS, MMID, CBS, ULIP, EMV
2. The validity of Kishan Vikas Patra?
3. What is the new name of MCX?
4. Payment bank working capital
5. Jandhan Yojana’s objective
6. Share of state government in RRB
7. What is the exchange date for pre-2005 Notes?
8. The developer of Rupay card?
|Static GK||1. Vishwanathan Anand plays which sport?
2. What is the capital of Austria?
3. United Nations day?
4. The capital of Afghanistan?
5. The currency of Bhutan?
The questions listed above can be answered efficiently if you follow these tips:
- Develop a habit of reading newspapers such as The Hindu and the Economic Times
- Make your own notes
- Increase your speed abilities using Lumosity. Keep a track of scores corresponding to all of your abilities apart from speed.
- Take mock tests and quizzes
- Refer books for Banking Awareness and General Knowledge. Use them for answering as many questions as possible
Keep reading. You will score well.