National Institute of Fashion Technology is popular by the name NIFT. No less than a buzzword amidst fashion maestros, the institute is a conglomeration of all students cut out from the cloth of style and fashion. The prestigious institution has several branches sprinkled all over the country, providing essential inlets as well as outlets of budding fashion designers.
Every year, NIFT Chennai opens its gates for the annual fresh batches. Admissions to its diploma courses: 2-year Diploma in Fashion Fit and Style and a 1 year PG Diploma in Apparel Production and Merchandising have been advertised and opened. In all probability, the classes may not exceed 6 hours per day. The Diploma holders may be considered for regular 4 year programmes in the 2nd year under Lateral Entry Scheme, provided there is a vacancy and other requirements are duly met.
Application form along with Prospectus can be obtained from NIFT campus on payment of Rs.200/- in person or by post, enclosing a DD of Rs.300/- in favour of NIFT payable at Chennai. The duly filled in application along with the registration fee of Rs.2000/- (Non-Refundable) by DD in favour of NIFT payable at Chennai should reach NIFT Campus Chennai in person or by post.
Eligibility and Requirements for NIFT Chennai
1. Those who have passed Class 12th in any discipline are eligible for admission to the Diploma Programme.
2. Graduates are eligible for admission to the Post Graduate Diploma Programme. Those with 2-3 years of work experience will be shown preference.
3. There is no age limit for Diploma and PG Diploma Programs.
4. Selection of candidates for the Diploma and PG Diploma Programme will be carried out by the campus on the basis of qualification and/or qualifying test, personal interview, presentation of past work.
5. A list of selected candidates will be announced through the website
Course details for NIFT Chennai
1. The 2-year Diploma Programme in Fashion Fit & Style offers a training program in the field of technical design and artistic skills that includes both theory & practice under the scheme.
2. The programme covers Fashion Studies, Pattern Making, Draping, Illustration, Garment Construction, Fashion Styling and Costume study in the package. The course fee is Rs.3,00,000/- + 18 % GST.
3. The Post Graduate Diploma Programme in Apparel Production & Merchandising endeavours to provide the requisite skill sets in apparel manufacturing and merchandising areas.
4. The course provides inputs from basic raw materials consumed in the industry to the machines used as well as a thorough understanding of all nuances and details of garments.
5. It provides a first-hand experience of the merchandising process with inputs in design understanding as well as hands-on training in making patterns and garments to have a panoramic view of the process.
6. Students will be obliged to undertake an eight-week internship in any apparel firm of their choice where they will be expected to integrate their classroom learning with the practical observations.
The Course Fees is Rs.1,50,000/- + 18% GST.
Considering the puissant reputation of the college, it is no cake walk to get admission here. Scores of students literally toil and hustle every year to secure a seat here. However, it’s only the select few who manage to conquer the tumultuous road.