F.R.I.E.N.D.S. is a popular American sitcom that was telecasted from 1994-2004, and the show became so popular that even after 14 years of its finale it is still loved by millions. The storyline revolves around 6 friends Joey, Chandler, Phoebe, Monica, Ross and Rachel, and their daily struggles of life. So, here is what each character of the show taught us during the show’s 10 seasons. Here are some life lessons from friends.
Some life lessons from friends
Rachel Green always had a comfortable life however she chose her happiness over her parents’ forced alliance with Barry and ran away leaving him at the altar. Then she works as a waitress in Central Perk before trying endless times and landing on a dream job at Bloomingdale’s. After that, she got even a better one at Ralph Lauren. Then she became a single mother of a baby girl, ‘Emma’. She taught everyone that:
- It is okay to be a little pampered at times
- Hard Work is the key to success
- If you are determined you can achieve almost anything in life.
- Being a single mother is the most beautiful thing in the world.
- If you follow your passion you can achieve sure success.
The mother hen of the group Monica Geller was once a fat one who lost pounds of weight to get into the right shape. She was competitive, compulsive and a perfectionist who always loved to play host for her friends. She had an affair with Dr. Richard Burke whom she considered perfect for her although the things could not work well for them. Then Monica ended up with Chandler, whom she never took seriously.
She even had to wear fake boobs before landing on her favourite job as a head chef. She taught us:
- It is okay to be a little competitive
- Always believe in yourself
- True love is hard to find
- Love is more important than perfectionism.
After going through several hardships in his life like three marriages and then three divorces and even faced a mental breakdown resulting in loss of his job. However, still, he managed to get placed in NYU and got out of the friend zone from his 9 standard crush, Rachel. He taught us:
- No matter what people say, do what you love in
- It is never too late to do anything that is correct
- Always control your temper, especially in your workplace else, you could get yourself in some serious trouble.
Joey Tribbiani, who was an actor by profession got rejected for many roles before landing on the role of his life on the popular daytime soap, Days of Our Lives. However, he was thrown out of that as well due to an interview that went wrong only to be returned again on the show. With his charming personality and famous pickup line, How you doin? He was a true womanizer and managed to impress many of them but he was a true friend who always stood up for others. He taught us important life lessons like:
- Friendship is invaluable, always respect and help your friends
- Food is important and nobody should share their share: Joey doesn’t share food!!!
- It is okay to show your sensitive side to the world
- Always be true to yourself
The craziest person in the group, Phoebe Buffay had the most traumatizing childhood and was forced to live on the streets. However, she was not only street smart but also high on her principles and a little weird who despite many unfavourable circumstances ended up marrying Mike Hannigan, her love at first sight. She taught us:
- It is okay to be different from others
- Your choices define you in hard times
- Do whatever you like no matter what the world says.
Chandler Bing, the king of Sarcasm ended up with Monica Geller most unexpectedly after having a complicated relationship with Janice. He was a transponster! No, no… Data Analyst in an IT firm, however, he quit his job to intern at an advertising agency. Not only this despite facing adverse situations in his childhood Chandler turned out to be a good friend who always supported Joey and others. He taught us:
- It is okay to be sarcastic at times
- No matter what the situation is, never lose hope
- Always have confidence in yourself.
Indeed TV shows are meant for entertainment, however, there are cases where we can learn some most valuable life lessons from them, and above is an example of this.