Do you have a hunger for understanding the complex and extraordinary ideas that govern the scientific world and a fluency with the basic scientific disciplines? Are you willing to pursue your further education in science to cover science in great breadth to probe into those scientific areas that interests you the most? Do you aspire to become a science researcher?
If you have answered yes, then the Department Of Science And Technology under the Indian Government offers you the Kishore Vaigyanik Protsahan Yojana (KVPY) (English: Young Scientist Incentive Plan) Scholarship to assist you to fulfill your potential. Indian Government launched KVPY Scholarship for aspiring science researchers.
Kishore Vaigyanik Protsahan Yojana (KVPY) Scholarship
KVPY is a scholarship initiated and funded by the nodal agency of the Indian Government, Department Of Science And Technology with an objective to identify and encourage students passionate in science to pursue their interests in basic science studies and research. The eligibility for this fellowship is determined on the basis of the KVPY Scholarship Exam conducted every year by the Indian Institute Of Science (IISc) Bangalore. Substantial fellowship and contingency grants are provided to the qualified candidates upto a pre-PhD level or five years whichever is earlier. Qualifying this exam provides you with an accelerated route to pursue your studies in Indian Institute Of Science Education And Research (IISER).
This is a fellowship given to Indian students willing to pursue science education in India. The eligibility requirements for different streams including SA, SX and SB are as follows :
- Stream SA
- This is for students of 11th grade who have scored a minimum of 75% aggregate in Mathematics and Science for 10th grade.
- The minimum marks required for the students belonging to the SC/ST/PwD categories is 65%. The qualified candidates’ fellowships are activated only after the students join their graduate studies in Science disciplines, that is, B.Sc/B.S./B.Math/B.Stat/Int. M.Sc/Int.M.S.
- The students must have scored an aggregate of 60% in their 12th grade Board Examination in Science Stream.
- The minimum marks for the students belonging to SC/ST/PWD categories is 50%. However, the students are invited to the National Science Camp during the Interim period.
- Stream SX
- This is for students in 12th grade who aspire to join graduation in any science disciplines, that is, B.Sc/B.S./B.Math/B.Stat/Int. M.Sc/Int.M.S. They must have scored a minimum of 75% aggregate in Mathematics and Science for 10th grade.
- The minimum score for students belonging to SC/ST/PWD categories is 65%. They must have scored a minimum of 60% aggregate in Mathematics and Science in 12th grade. The minimum marks for the students belonging to SC/ST/PWD categories is 50%.
- Students in their 2nd year of study in Cambridge International Examination Board and aspiring to join an UG program (viz. B.Sc./B.S./B.Stat./B.Math./Int. M.Sc./Int. M.S.) in Basic Sciences namely Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics and Biology in the Academic year 2017-18 are eligible to apply provided they have secured a minimum of 75% (65% for SC/ST/PWD) marks in aggregate in MATHEMATICS and SCIENCE subjects (Physics/Chemistry/Biology) in the X Standard Board Examination.
- They must secure 60% (50% for SC/ST/PWD) marks in aggregate in MATHEMATICS and SCIENCE subjects (Physics/Chemistry/Biology) in the XII standard Board Examination.
- Stream SB
- This is for students who are in the first year of their graduation in any of the scientific disciplines that are B.Sc./B.S./B.Stat./B.Math./Int. M.Sc./Int. M.S. They must have scored a minimum of 60% aggregate in Mathematics and Science for 12th grade Board Exam.
- The minimum marks for pupil belonging to SC/ST/PWD categories is 50%. They must have scored a minimum of 60% in their 1st Year degree examination. The minimum marks for the pupil belonging to SC/ST/PWD categories is 50%.
Graduation Courses eligible for KVPY
Graduation in the following scientific disciplines, that is, B.Sc./ B.S./ B.Stat./ B.Math./ Int. M.Sc./ Int. M.S. in Chemistry, Physics, mathematics, statistics, biochemistry, microbiology, cell biology, Ecology, Molecular Biology, Botany, Zoology, Physiology, Biotechnology, Neurosciences, Bioinformatics Marine Biology, Geology, Human Biology, Genetics, Biomedical Sciences, Applied Physics, Geophysics, Material Science or Environmental Science is considered valid to be eligible for KVPY Scholarship.
During the first, second and third years of graduation, the qualified candidates receive a monthly Fellowship of Rs. 5000 and an Annual Contingency Grant of Rs. 20000. During the post-graduation or the final two years of Int.Msc/M.Math/M.Stat, the qualified candidates receive a monthly fellowship of Rs.7000 and an Annual Contingency Grant of Rs. 28000.
In order to renew the fellowship, the students must participate and perform satisfactorily in the summer program or project each year from the second year of their graduation in an academic institution of National or International repute or in a DSIR approved research labs.
Each KVPY Fellow will be issued an ID Card which provides the candidate with an access to National Laboratories and Universities who have agreed to provide their facilities to KVPY Fellows.
Exam Syllabus for KVPY Scholarship
Though there is no prescribed syllabus for the exam, the question papers usually cover the basic topics that students are likely to have learned in 10, 11 and 12th grades and first year of B.Sc./ B.S./ B.Stat./ B.Math./ Int. M.Sc./ Int. M.S respectively.
Exam Pattern for KVPY Scholarship
This exam is conducted in the following two stages :
- Aptitude Test: This is a written exam which has questions relating to Physics, Chemistry, Biology and Mathematics with each section divided into two parts. Part I of each section carries 1 mark for each question while Part II contains 2 mraks questions. The questions are multiple-choice questions. The question paper is set in both English and Hindi.
- Interview: The pupil qualified in the Aptitude Test are invited to attend an Interview where their scientific abilities are scrutinized by a board of experts in the fields. Those who are qualified in this section are eligible for KVPY Scholarship.
Exam Dates for KVPY
The advertisement for KVPY Fellowship appears in all National Dailies normally on the Technology Day, that is on May 11 and the second Sunday of July every year. The Aptitude Tests are conducted during November and the Interviews during January and February.
For further information and notification with regard to the exam, visit the official website :
If you are an aspiring science researcher, attempt this exam and expose yourself to the world-class education to gain a deep understanding of the scientific world governed by the ideas that are profound, imaginative and beautifully simple. Allow yourself to excel in the area of your passion and to make the most of life’s opportunities. Good luck for your attempts!