Are you a science graduate looking for an institution that has the perfect blend of attractive academic structure and a world-class reputation? Are you willing to go an extra mile to make sure that you get your dream career in any of the scientific disciplines? Then, IITs and IISc will be among your obvious choices for furthering your broad spectrum of scientific passion. The Joint Admission Test for M.Sc – JAM 2019 opens the door to these institutions for you.
Joint Admission Test for M.Sc – JAM 2019
The Joint Admission Test for M.Sc.(JAM) is a national-level standardized joint entrance test organized and conducted annually once every February by one of the branches of the Indian Institute Of Technology(IIT) on a rotatory basis to screen candidates to the M.Sc. (Two Years), Joint M.Sc.-Ph.D., M.Sc.-Ph.D. Dual Degree, and other Post-Bachelor’s Degree programmes at the IITs and the Integrated Ph.D. Programmes at the Indian Institute of Science(IISc). The exam will be conducted in the following seven disciplines each referred to as ‘test paper’ out of which you can attempt a maximum of two papers:
- Biological Sciences(BL)
- Mathematical Statistics(MS)
Important Dates for JAM 2019
|The online application forms will be made available on the official website from||5th September 2018|
|Last date for the submission of online application forms and for the uploading of necessary documents||10th October 2018|
|Admit Cards will be issued by||4th January 2019|
|JAM Examination 2019||10th February 2019|
|Results will be declared on||20th March 2019|
|Admission form on the official website can be submitted from||11th April 2019 to 14th April 2019|
|First Admission List will be released on||3rd June 2019|
|Second Admission List will be released on||18th June 2019|
|Final Admission List will be released on||1st July 2019|
|Admission closes on||5th July 2019|
The following general conditions must be met with to be eligible for application to JAM 2019:
- The candidate must be a graduate with a minimum aggregate score of 55% or 5.5/10 for unreserved categories. It is 50% or 5.0/10 for candidates belonging to SC/ST/PWD Categories.
- Scanned copy of the candidate’s recent passport-size color photograph of the candidate in JPEG format taken on a white background on after 1st August 2018. The file size must be of range from 5KB to 200KB.
- Scanned copy of the candidate’s signature in JPEG format with a file size ranging between 5KB and 100KB. The maximum image size must be 160*560pixels. The minimum image size must be 80*280pixels.
- Scanned copy of the candidate’s category certificate in pdf format if applicable.
- Scanned copy of the candidate’s PwD Certificate in pdf format if applicable.
How to Apply
Online application forms will be made available on the official website from 1st September 2018. Register at the JAM Online Application Processing System(JOAPS) website, by giving your name, email ID, mobile number, and password. A confirmation mail carrying your enrolment ID will be sent to your registered email ID and a text message carrying the same will be sent to your registered phone number. You can log in to your account using this ID and your password. Fill in the personal details including your name, date of birth, mobile number, parents’ name, parents’ mobile number, address for communication, educational details, college name and address, JAM papers, and your preferred choice of exam centers. Upload photograph, signature, and other certificates in the prescribed format. Pay the below-stated amount as the registration fee online through Credit/Debit Card/Net Banking:
|Category||One Paper||Two Papers|
The application process ends here.
Admit Cards for the successfully registered candidates carrying the candidate’s name, registration number, photograph, signature and name(s) and code(s) can be downloaded from the official website from 4th January 2019.
Exam Pattern and Syllabus
Joint Admission Test(JAM) is a computer-based online test spanning 3 hours conducted in various centers across the country. The question paper is set in English. The total number of questions is 60 and the maximum score is 100 marks. Every test paper has the following three compulsory sections:
- Section A: This section has 30 Multiple Choice Questions out of which 10 questions carry 1 mark each and the rest carries 2 marks each. You have to choose the right one from the provided four options. There will a penalty of 1/3rd of the total score for each of the wrongly answered questions.
- Section B: This section has 10 Multiple Select Questions each carrying 2 marks. You have to choose the right answer(s) from the given options. There will be no penalty for the wrong answers.
- Section C: This section has 20 Numerical Answer Type questions out of which 10 carries 1 mark each and the rest carries 2 marks each. Answers to this section have to be entered using the virtual numeric keyboard on the monitor. There will be no penalty for the wrong answers
You can use an online virtual calculator for calculations.
Results and Score Card
Results of JAM 2019 will be declared on the official website. An All India Rank(AIR) will be assigned to each of the appearing candidates and an All India Merit list carrying the names of the qualified candidates will be prepared accordingly. Scorecard carrying the AIR and the obtained score of the candidate can be downloaded from the above-mentioned site from 5th April 2019 till 31st July 2019. The qualified candidates will be admitted to the corresponding courses offered by the prescribed IITs or IISc.
For further information and updated notifications, visit the official website:
IITs and IISc, through their stimulating academic ambience and research infrastructure, lead the way in scientific discovery and innovation. Get through the exam and you will be ideally placed to benefit from everything that these institutions offer. Explore and expand your personal and academic horizons and boost your employability by qualifying this exam. Quench your thirst for learning. Good luck with your attempts!