The UPSC would conduct the Engineering Services Examination, also known as the IES Exam (Indian Engineering Services exam), in January 2019. This job gives you a splendid opportunity to join one of the premier public services. However, you need to fulfill certain parameters to be eligible for applying for the UPSC IES exam. So, what is the minimum IES Qualification? In this article, we would talk about UPSC IES Eligibility Criteria so that you can determine whether you are eligible to apply for the exam or not.
IES Qualification – Complete Details
So, what makes you eligible to apply for IES Exam? Well, as said before, you need to fulfill certain UPSC IES Eligibility Criteria. There are certain parameters like age, nationality and educational qualifications that you need to fulfill. So, let us check out the details of each of the parameters.
IES Qualification – Nationality
A candidate must be either:
- a citizen of India, or
- a subject of Nepal, or
- a subject of Bhutan, or
- a Tibetan refugee who came over to India before the 1st January 1962 with the intention of permanently settling in India, or
- a person of Indian origin who has migrated from Pakistan, Burma, Sri Lanka or East African countries of Kenya, Uganda, the United Republic of Tanzania, Zambia, Malawi, Zaire, and Ethiopia or from Vietnam with the intention of permanently setting in India.
Provided that a candidate belonging to categories (b), (c), (d) and (e) above shall be a person in whose favour a certificate of eligibility has been issued by the Government of India. A candidate in whose case a certificate of eligibility is necessary may be admitted to the examination but the offer of appointment may be given only after the necessary eligibility certificate has been issued to him/her by the Government of India.
IES Qualification – Age Limit
Next thing that we should look at is the age limit for UPSC ESE Eligibility. The UPSC IES Age Limit is between the age of 21 years and 30 years, as on the 1st January 2019. This means that you must have been born not earlier than 2nd January 1989 and not later than 1st January 1998.
However, candidates belonging certain reserved categories are eligible for relaxation in their upper age limit. The following table gives the details:
*People with Locomotor Disability including Cerebral Palsy, Leprosy cured, Dwarfism, Acid Attack victims & Muscular Dystrophy and Hearing Disability. You need to furnish the necessary details during the interview stage. So, be sure that you have the relevant documents when you are filling your IES Application Form.
IES Qualification – Educational Qualification
This is perhaps the most important parameter that you need to fulfill for UPSC ESE Eligibility.
For admission to the examination, a candidate must have –
- obtained a degree in Engineering from a University incorporated by an Act of the Central or State Legislature in India or other Educational Institutions established by an Act of Parliament or declared to be deemed as Universities under Section 3 of the University Grants Commission Act, 1956; or
- passed Sections A and B of the Institution Examinations of the Institution of Engineers (India); or
- obtained a degree/diploma in Engineering from such foreign University/College/Institution and under such conditions as may be recognised by the Government for the purpose from time to time, or
- passed Graduate Membership Examination of the Institution of Electronics and Telecommunication Engineers (India); or
- passed Associate Membership Examination Parts II and III/Sections A and B of the Aeronautical Society of India; or
- passed Graduate Membership Examination of the Institution of Electronics and Radio Engineers, London held after November, 1959
For the post of Indian Naval Armament Service (Electronics Engineering Posts) and Indian Radio Regulatory Service Group ‘A’ may possess any of the above qualifications or the qualification mentioned below namely:-
For Indian Naval Armament Service (Electronics Engineering. Posts) – M.Sc. degree or its equivalent with Wireless Communication Electronics, Radio Physics or Radio Engineering as a special subject.
For Indian Radio Regulatory Service – M.Sc. degree or its equivalent with Wireless Communication Electronics, Radio Physics or Radio Engineering as a subject or Master’s Degree in Science with Physics and Radio Communication or Electronics or Telecommunication as a special subject.
When you are filling in your application form, you need to make sure that you are filling in the right details in your application form. If there are any errors, then your candidature would be canceled even if you get your admit card. To know about the complete details about the IES Application Process, click on the link below:
These were some of the details about the IES Qualification. We hope that this article was of help to you. To get more information about the IES Exam 2019, click on the link below: