Quantitative Aptitude or Quant, as most students know it is one of the most important subjects in the IBPS RRB exam. If you are applying for IBPS RRB PO exam for Officer Scale 1 posts, then you would have to answer topics on quant in both prelims and mains. If you are applying for IBPS RRB office assistant exam, then you would have to encounter quant questions in IBPS RRB Mains. All that makes the quant section one of the most important subjects that you need to work on if you want to get selected for IBPS RRB 2021. Now, the question is how should you prepare for quant. Well, let us start by accepting the fact that IBPS RRB quant, on the whole, is a tricky subject. This is why it is important to have the right strategy for IBPS RRB quant preparation. So, let’s see how you can develop the right strategy for IBPS RRB quant test.
Knowing a Few Important Things about IBPS RRB Quant Section
Before you start your preparation for IBPS RRB quant or any other subject for that matter, you need to know a few simple things. These ‘things’ would help you chalk out a strategy that would help you chalk the right strategy for your preparation. So, let’s learn a few basic things about IBPS RRB quant preparation first.
Do I have to answer IBPS RRB Quant in both prelims and mains?
Well, if you are applying for IBPS RRB officer scale 1 posts, then you have to answer IBPS RRB quant questions in both prelims and mains. However, if you are applying for IBPS RRB office assistant post, then you need to answer questions on quant only in the IBPS RRB mains.
What is the syllabus for IBPS RRB Quant?
There is no ‘official’ syllabus for IBPS RRB quant according to the official notification. However, if you look at previous year questions, you would find that the questions are from specific sections. Based on that, we have an IBPS RRB Quant Syllabus. You can check out the quant syllabus, by clicking on the link below:IBPS RRB Quant Syllabus 2018
How difficult are the questions?
The difficulty levels of the questions vary from year to year. The overall difficulty could be said to be ‘moderate to difficult’. However, there are some sections which are easy and hence, quite scoring as well. So, if you prepare well, you would be able to get the results.
Analyzing the Topics for IBPS RRB Quant Preparation
Since we have talked about the difficulty of the questions and how they differ from topic to topic, let us do an analysis of the topics that come in the exam.
List of most important topics for IBPS RRB Quant Preparation
The following topics are the most important for IBPS RRB Quant. This is because of the fact that a majority of questions in the exam come on these topics.
- Data Interpretation – 5-10 questions on an average
- Number Series – 5 questions on an average
- Simplification – 5 questions
- Quadratic equation – 5 questions
As you can see, on an average, there are about 20-25 questions from this four topics only. Therefore, these four topics are especially important for your IBPS RRB quant preparation.
List of the most tricky topics for IBPS RRB Quant Preparation
The following are the list of the most tricky topics for IBPS RRB quant. Questions from these topics are often difficult and they take a lot of time to solve. Therefore, these topics require a special deal of attention when you are preparing for your IBPS RRB quant exam.
- Permutations & Combinations
- Time, Speed & Distance (including Boat & Stream)
- Time & Work (including Pipes & Cisterns)
- Mensuration & Geometry
- Mixtures & Alligations
It is advisable that you pick 2-3 subjects from this list and start preparing at least 4 months before the prelims. Try to practice a variety of the questions that come in the exam. For that, practice questions from previous year IBPS RRB question papers.
List of the most scoring topics for IBPS RRB Quant Preparation
Alright, I think we have scared you enough with the list of the most important topics and tricky topics! Let us now take a look at the easiest subjects that would help you to score high in the exam.
- Profit & Loss
- Ratio & Proportion
A lot of people make the mistake of avoiding these topics altogether in their IBPS RRB quant preparation. This is just the wrong strategy. You need to practice a good deal even on this subjects. A good strategy would be to solve as many different questions as you can instead of just practicing a specific type of problems.
How to Start Your IBPS RRB Quant Preparation?
Well, the ‘right’ way to start your preparation depends on a lot of different factors. The biggest factor is how much you got left before the exam. In most cases, we suggest that you keep at least a six-month of preparation time.
The First Two Months – Start with the tricky topics first. Those are the bitter pills you have to swallow. IBPS would not ask you easy questions from easy sections and gift you your dream job. They focus more on the tricky subjects. Pick up 2-3 topics first and then move to the next ones.
We would also suggest that you go through the important topics and make your own list of topics that you are strong in and topics that you are weak in. Start with your ‘weak’ topics and then move on to the strong topics.
The Middle Two Months – This is when you pick up on the easy topics. As for the hard topics, your focus should be on solving different varieties of questions. Try to finish the syllabus within the first four months. That goes for all the other subjects in IBPS RRB as well. Once you are done with the syllabus, start giving sectional mock tests.
The Final Two Months – You have covered the syllabus and you have also put in a fair deal of practice. Now the thing that is left to do is solving the paper quickly. Remember, you would not get a lot of time on the exam. So, try to enhance your speed. When you are solving questions, try to keep a watch beside you. This small trick would work wonders for your speed. This would also prepare you for the nervousness that candidates often experience in the exam hall.
Topic-Specific Preparation Tips
Let us now look at the important topics and see how you should prepare for them
- There is no doubt about the fact that data interpretation is one of the most difficult sections. So, you should practice questions every day.
- Practice at least one set of columns, line diagram, bar graphs and other different types of DI sets every day.
- Don’t waste your time in reading the graph accurately. It is not required most of the times. Just a rough idea about the values is enough.
- Number series can be solved pretty quickly if you know the right approach
- Try to solve the same type of problems with different approaches.
- The trick is to apply the right formula to the right question. This would come through practice.
- If you can’t find the answer in 30 seconds, it is better to move on and come back to it later.
- Simplification is quite easy to solve if you know the basic mathematical operation.
- The only thing you need to master is to avoid confusion. Just follow the BODMAS rule and you would get the answer in most cases.
- Quadratic equations are often of moderate difficulty in the IBPS RRB exam. You need to use your formulas in the right way to solve the questions accurately.
- Practice on enhancing your speed.
Tips for Preparing for the Tricky Topics
- The most important thing that you should learn is the fundamental of the subjects. This would help you to solve the questions in the most effective way.
- You should put permutation & combination, probability in one of the groups and all the others in another group. You should practice at least 50 questions from each of the groups.
- Try to solve different varieties of questions on each topic.
Important Books for IBPS RRB Quant Preparation
You can follow the following books for preparing for IBPS RRB quantitative aptitude paper.
You should also practice from 10th standard mathematics books, just to brush up on your concepts. The books might also help you rediscover techniques that you might have forgotten.
How to Approach the Question Paper in the Exam?
We have seen that a lot of students prepare well for the exam, but they fail to give the right answers in the exam. This is where it really matters! To avoid that from happening, you should follow these simple yet effective tips.
- Keep a calm mind before you see the paper. Remember, tension and anxiety aren’t going to give you the right answers. They only confuse. So, brush all of that aside.
- Read all the questions first.
- Attempt questions on number series and data interpretation first. They might take a good deal of time to solve.
- Look at the options carefully and mark only when you know its right. Remember there is negative marking.
- Once, you have submitted the answers, don’t worry. If you have prepared well, you would get selected. If you don’t get selected, it is not the end of the world. So, after the exam, keep enjoying your life. You deserve it, buddy!
So, these are some of the things that you should follow for your IBPS RRB quant preparation. Get more such useful articles on Topprnotes.
Best of luck!