Summer vacations can be a bit lethargic time for some. There is no college, no classes and no assignments, which makes these two months a bit boring. However, there are ample opportunities for students nowadays to have fun while learning loads of things and gaining hands-on experience and an internship is the best way to spend your vacation. You can intern at the corporate giants and small startups, the opportunities are infinite. Therefore, here we present you with all the information you need for getting an internship to make your summer interesting, from where to find one and interview tips, we have you covered.
What is an Internship?
An internship is a chance for young students to experience the industry first hand. When an undergraduate or a graduate student works for a limited period of time ranging from one week to 12 months. It is basically a position offered to potential employees by employers. Students have a chance to learn the know-how of the industry in which they want to pursue their career.
5 Reasons Why you should do an Internship
There are plenty of career options and nowadays we are seeing an exponential rise among the students creating a startup company while studying and other doing freelance work. In today’s competitive world we see a bigger battle of talents and just a degree is not enough to differentiate you from your fellow colleagues. So, here are a few reasons why you should opt for an internship.
1. To Gain Experience
You lack experience and this is the only way to get it. While interning you get to do a bit of everything, as your employer may trust you with minor diversified tasks. You get to see different roles people play in a company and learn to multi-task. Also, working with people elder than you helps you learn things which are not in books.
2. A Chance To Test Your Knowledge And Interests
Let’s be honest, just because you are pursuing a degree in a specific field does not necessarily means that you know all about it. You might have a sales degree and a couple of years later you find out that it is more than negotiating with clients. Doing an internship gives you a hands-on experience in the field of your degree and what your studies might look like in the practical world.
3. Strengthen Your CV
It is a common problem that most students don’t have work experience when they graduate from college. Most students focus on completing their program with a top of the line grades and then look in the market for a job. Though, there is nothing wrong with this but the difference will be evident when you have to perform and show your skills in the practical world. Having an internship experience might give you a story to tell beyond having spent your university life just studying and it is obvious that having more experience eventually strengthens your CV.
4. Develop new professional skills and better working habit
Interning at a startup, you will have to perform various tasks and learn new skills, sometimes out of your comfort zone. While doing so, you will gain a much broader perspective of topics outside your field of study and learn to manage people and priorities in a different way.
5. Self Discovery and Self Confidence
When you intern, you will come across different challenges which will demand different mindsets and solutions from you. In this process, you will recognize your strengths and weaknesses, which will lead you to focus on what you do best and put more effort on what needs attention. Besides that, you will find your interest by exploring different aspects of business and test what you like and what you don’t like. Once you learn about yourself, recognize your potential, then you are ready to take on greater challenges in the future.
How to find the perfect internship and make your summer interesting?
The secret to finding the best internship is to start your planning early. One month prior to the commencement of your vacations start to figure out the following :
- Where you’d like to intern?
- What post would you apply for?
- Type of Work you’d like to do
- Duration of your internship
- Stipend you seek
- What is your main motive?
- What are your expectations for the internship?
- What do you want to learn?
Once you have figured out these things you may start applying according to your interests. Now the question arises that where to find internships? Nowadays it is easy to find the internship which suits you the best, through various sites like :
The best feature of these sites is that you can filter your preferences and the results will be displayed accordingly and there are thousands of employers on these sites which makes it easier for everyone to find what suits them the best. Even if you’re new to these platforms, they are pretty simple to operate.
If you have received a call for the interview then don’t worry you are already halfway there to landing the internship you have been looking for. Employers look for candidates who are relaxed, confident and ready to meet challenges. Just follow these simple steps to put yourself ahead of the competition.
- Choose your outfit carefully and try it a day prior. If you are confused stick to the basics and as a general rule wear ‘business casuals’- conservative but still comfortable. Also, be well groomed, it is recommended for boys to be clean shaved and have a simple hairstyle.
- Prepare responses beforehand to some frequently asked questions to avoid ‘um-ing’ during the interview some Frequently asked questions are:
- “Why do you want to work with us?”
- “What are your strengths and weaknesses?”
- “Why should we hire you?”
- “What motivates you?”
- “What do you think you will gain from an internship with this company?”
- “How does this internship relate to your career goals?”
- Research about the company before the interview. This shows your interest to work with the company. If the company has a website make sure to scroll through it once to know exactly what the company stands for.
- Bring your work sample along, If you are applying for an internship in media or art then you should bring a portfolio along which includes your work samples. For example, if you are applying for fashion internship bring a portfolio along of your sketches.
- Thank the interviewers: The importance of this factor is often overlooked. Thank your interviewer for their consideration and precious. End the interview by thanking them for the opportunity or how glad you were to meet them
- Brush up your soft skills. You are expected to be polite and answer each question respectfully. Also, avoid using informal language or slangs; address the interviewer as sir or ma’am only
- Sell yourself to the interviewer through your achievements. While answering questions, integrate your achievements or past experiences in your answers, Make the interviewer focus on the positive aspects of your personality. However, remember not to boast about yourself as you may come off as overconfident.
What to do if you are unable to get an internship?
The world is not always sunshine and rainbows and it is not guaranteed that you will get an internship which you want. There is no need to get depressed over this. Besides, interning somewhere you can work on yourself, learn many new things by yourself. An American entrepreneur and motivational speaker, Jim Rohn rightly said: “self-education will make you a fortune”. Also, I am saying this from personal experience that once you teach yourself something you never forget. Here are a few things you can try this vacation besides doing an internship:
- Read self-help books by great entrepreneurs.
- Focus on your fitness
- Travel to places you have never been to.
- Start a blog
- Read textbooks which will help you in your studies and college.
- Take up a new hobby
- Take up non-academic classes
There are many ways to keep yourself occupied during this vacation. So, keep yourself occupied learn new things and enjoy life to the fullest.