Graduate Aptitude Test of Engineering (GATE) is one of the most competitive exams in the country. It is conducted by the IITs and it is used to screen candidates for admission into the IITs and other premier engineering institutes. In the following post, we would talk about the GATE Exam 2019. We would look at the dates for GATE 2019, the eligibility and all the other details that you should know.
What is GATE Exam?
As said before, the GATE Exam is a competitive exam that is conducted by the IIT to screen candidates for admission into M.Tech programmes in the IITs and other premier engineering institutes. It is also used by PSUs like ONGC to recruit engineers. The GATE Exam Full Form is Graduate Aptitude Test for Engineering
GATE Exam 2019 – The Important Dates
The following table gives the details of the important dates of GATE Exam 2019
|Release of GATE 2019 Notification||July 6, 2018|
|Start of GATE Registration through GOAPS||August 31, 2018|
|Last Date for Registration||September 23, 2018 (till 6:00 PM)|
|Extended Date for Registration (with late fee)||October 1, 2018|
|Last Date for Submission of Application Form (by registered candidates)||October 3, 2018|
|Availability of Correction window||September 27, 2018|
|Dates for GATE 2019 Exam Paper Change||October 17 to 25, 2018|
|Change of Defects in Application Form marked by Authorities||October 23 to November 2, 2018|
|Change in Gender/Category/PwD Status/Dyslexia and other similar learning disabilities||October 31 to November 7, 2018|
|Last date for requesting change of test city (an additional fee will be applicable)||November 16, 2018|
|Availability of GATE 2019 Mock Test||October 30, 2018|
|Publishing of Admit Card||January 4, 2019|
|GATE 2019 Examination||February 2, 3, 9 and 10, 2019|
|Release of GATE 2019 Response Sheets||Second week of February 2019|
|GATE 2019 Answer Key||Third week of February 2019|
|Announcement of Result||March 16, 2019|
|Availability of Score Card||March 20 to May 31, 2019|
To get the latest updates on GATE Exam 2019, click on the button below:
GATE Exam Eligibility
Let us now take a look at the GATE Exam Eligibility Criteria. Like any other competitive exam, there are certain criteria that you need to fulfill. Let us take a closer look at them.
GATE Exam Eligibility – Nationality
- Indian national candidates will be eligible for GATE Exam 2019.
- Candidates from Nepal, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Singapore, Ethiopia and United Arab Emirates (U.A.E) will also be eligible to appear for GATE 2019.
GATE Exam Qualification – Educational Qualifications
Let us take a look at probably the most important factor and that is the educational qualifications. As per the latest information in the GATE 2019 Eligibility, you need to fulfil the following educational qualifications.
- Candidates should have completed their Bachelor’s degree in Engineering/Technology or Master’s degree (M.Sc) in any relevant science subject. You are also eligible to apply if you are in the final year of the programme.
- There is no minimum pass percentage in the qualifying degree for GATE 2019.
GATE Exam Age Limit
There is no age limit for applying for GATE 2019. This means that you would be eligible to apply for GATE irrespective of your age.
To get the complete details about GATE Exam Eligibility, click on the button below:
GATE 2019 Application Form
Let us now take a look at how you can fill up your application form for GATE Exam 2019
The Process of filling up the form
The process involves the following steps
- Registration through GOAPS
- GOAPS Login to Fill GATE Application Form
- Uploading of Required Documents
- Preview of Filled Application Form
- Payment of Application Fees
- Submission of Filled Application Form
Important Documents Needed to Fill Up the Form
You need to keep the following documents handy when you are filling up the GATE Online Form
- Scanned photograph and signature of the candidate
- Personal Details and Address for Communication (including PIN Code) Details
- Eligibility Degree details
- GATE paper (subject) and choice of exam cities
- Net banking/credit card/debit card details for payment of fee
- Valid Photo Identity Proof (Aadhaar Card/Passport/Driving License/PAN Card/Voter ID/College ID/Employee Identification Card/Notarized Affidavit with Photo, Signature, Date of Birth and Residential Address). The identity proof required by foreign students are Passport/Government Issued ID/College ID/Employee ID.
- Degree Certificate/Provisional Certificate/Course Completion Certificate (Candidates who have completed their graduation in 2018 or earlier)
- Copy of Mark Sheet of the fifth or sixth or seventh semester as the case may be (Candidates who are in their final year).
- Final year students will also have to submit their Provisional Certificate Letter as per format issued by the Home of Institute/Dean/Registrar/Head of Department
- Candidates in final year of AMIE will have to keep ready their mark sheet for Section A of AMIE in case of professional equivalent qualifications.
- Caste Certificate (if applicable) as per given format
- Disability or PwD Certificate (if applicable)
- Candidates who were pursuing higher degree or masters had to submit the qualifying degree certificate or provisional one.
- Candidates with backlogs had to upload copy of any of the mark sheet of the final year issued by the institute where they are studying.
GATE Application Fees
|S.No||Category||Application Fee*||Fee during the extended period|
|1||Male Category (General/OBC) and Others||Rs. 1500||Rs. 2000|
|2||SC/ ST/ PWD and Women (All Categories)||Rs. 750||Rs. 1250|
|3||International Students – Dubai and Singapore||US$ 100||US$ 120|
|4||International Students – Addis Ababa, Colombo, Dhaka and Kathmandu||US$ 50||US$ 70|
* The mentioned application fee does not include service charges, processing fees and any other charges that banks may apply.
To know more about the process of filling up the online form, click on the button below:
GATE Admit Card 2019 – How to Download?
Now, let us take a look at how you can go for GATE Admit Card Download. The process is really simple. You just need to follow the following steps. The link for GATE Download Admit Card is given below:
Instructions for GATE Admit Card Download
As said before, you need to download the GATE Hall Ticket online and the process is really simple. The given steps need to be followed:
- Click on the link above.
- Enter your registration ID and password
- Click on ‘Submit’
- You would get your GATE Exam Hall Ticket. Download it and take a print on A4 paper.
GATE Exam Pattern
Let us take a quick look at the exam itself to undertand the GATE Total Marks as well as the GATE Marking Scheme. The following table gives the details:
|Duration of Exam||3 hours (180 minutes)|
|Total Number of Questions||65|
|Type of Question||Two types of questions asked:
· Multiple Choice Questions (MCQ)
· Numerical Answer Type (NAT) Questions
|Sections||GATE 2019 question paper will consist of three sections:
· General Aptitude
· Engineering Mathematics (for XL papers it is Chemistry)
· Subject – Specific section
|General Aptitude Section||The paper will consist of a mandatory General Aptitude (GA) section which will have 10 questions. 5 of the questions will be of 1 mark and the remaining 5 will be of 2 marks. Therefore, the total marks for this section will be 15 marks.|
|Marking Scheme||· 1 mark MCQs – 1/3 mark will be deducted for every wrong answer.
· 2 marks MCQs – 2/3 mark will be deducted for every wrong response.
· Zero marks will be awarded for unattempted questions
· No negative marking will be done for Numerical Answer Type (NAT) questions
GATE Question Pattern 2019
There are two types of questions that can be expected by the candidates for GATE 2019. The different categories of questions are:
- Multiple Choice Questions (MCQs) – The questions are objective in nature and have a set of four options out of which one will be the correct answer.
- Numerical Answer Type (NAT) – The answer to the questions will be a real number which the candidates will have to use to enter a mouse and virtual keyboard. The answers can either be an integer (3, 7, 21 and more) or a number with decimals (for example 10.1) or even a decimal number. No choices will be provided for these type of questions.
GATE Paper Codes
You need to know about the Paper Codes for GATE Exam Pattern. The following table gives the details of the paper code:
|Architecture and Planning||AR||Geology and Geophysics||GG|
|Agricultural Engineering||AG||Engineering Sciences||XE*|
|Chemical Engineering||CH||Life Sciences||XL**|
|Civil Engineering||CE||Instrumentation Engineering||IN|
|Computer Science and Information Technology||CS||Mining Engineering||MN|
|Electronics and Communication Engineering||EC||Mechanical Engineering||ME|
|Electrical Engineering||EE||Textile Engineering and Fiber Science||TF|
|Chemistry||CY||Production and Industrial Engineering||PI|
|Ecology and Evolution||EY||Petroleum Engineering||PE|
GATE 2019 Paper Codes for XE and XL
|XE Paper Sections||Code||XL Paper Sections||Code|
|Engineering Mathematics (Compulsory)||A||Chemistry (Compulsory)||P|
|Polymer Science and Engineering||F||Food Technology||U|
|Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences||H|
GATE Exam Pattern for Different Codes
Now, let us look at the actual GATE Exam Pattern for Different Codes. The GATE Pattern changes depending on the codes that you are appearing for. The following table gives you the details:
|Paper Code||Exam Pattern|
|CE, CS, EC, AE, AG, BT, CH, ME, MN, MT, EE, IN, TF, XE, PE, ST and PI||· GA (General Aptitude) – 15%
· Engineering Mathematics – 15%
· Subject of the Paper – 70%
|AR, CY, GG, EY, XL, PH and MA||· GA (General Aptitude) – 15%
· Subject of the Paper – 85%
GATE Marking Scheme
Let us now take a look at the GATE Marking Scheme. Like the exam pattern, the GATE Marking Scheme also changes according to the code of the paper that you are replying for.
|Paper Code||General Aptitude Marks||Subject Marks||Total Marks||Negative Marking|
|CS, CY, EC, EE, CE, CH, AR, AE, AG, EY, BT, GG, IN, ME, MA, PH, PI, TF, MN, MT, PE, ST||15||85||100||· 1/3rd Mark will be deducted for 1 mark question
· 2/3rd Mark will be deducted for 2 mark question
|XE (Section A +
any two sections)
|XL (Section P +
any two sections)
GATE 2019 Syllabus
General Aptitude is common for all papers. General Aptitude Paper can be divided into two sections:
- Verbal Ability
- Numerical Ability
Let us take a look at the topics in the individual sections
Verbal Ability: English grammar, sentence completion, verbal analogies, word groups, instructions, critical reasoning and verbal deduction.
Numerical Ability: Numerical computation, numerical estimation, numerical reasoning and data interpretation.
To download the GATE 2019 Syllabus PDF, click on the link below:
Engineering Mathematics is another subject that is common for a majority of papers. The following topics are included in the syllabus
Section 1: Linear Algebra
Algebra of matrices; Inverse and rank of a matrix; System of linear equations; Symmetric, skew-symmetric and orthogonal matrices; Determinants; Eigenvalues and eigenvectors; Diagonalisation of matrices; Cayley-Hamilton Theorem.
Section 2: Calculus
Functions of single variable: Limit, continuity and differentiability; Mean value theorems; Indeterminate forms and L’Hospital’s rule; Maxima and minima; Taylor’s theorem; Fundamental theorem and mean value-theorems of integral calculus; Evaluation of definite and improper integrals; Applications of definite integrals to evaluate areas and volumes.
Functions of two variables: Limit, continuity and partial derivatives; Directional derivative; Total derivative; Tangent plane and normal line; Maxima, minima and saddle points; Method of Lagrange multipliers; Double and triple integrals, and their applications. Sequence and series: Convergence of sequence and series; Tests for convergence; Power series; Taylor’s series; Fourier Series; Half range sine and cosine series.
Section 3: Vector Calculus
Gradient, divergence and curl; Line and surface integrals; Green’s theorem, Stokes theorem and Gauss divergence theorem (without proofs).
Section 4: Complex variables
Analytic functions; Cauchy-Riemann equations; Line integral, Cauchy’s integral theorem and integral formula (without proof); Taylor’s series and Laurent series; Residue theorem (without proof) and its applications.
Section 5: Ordinary Differential Equations
First order equations (linear and nonlinear); Higher order linear differential equations with constant coefficients; Second order linear differential equations with variable coefficients; Method of variation of parameters; Cauchy-Euler equation; Power series solutions; Legendre polynomials, Bessel functions of the first kind and their properties.
Section 6: Partial Differential Equations
Classification of second-order linear partial differential equations; Method of separation of variables; Laplace equation; Solutions of one-dimensional heat and wave equations.
Section 7: Probability and Statistics
Axioms of probability; Conditional probability; Bayes’ Theorem; Discrete and continuous random variables: Binomial, Poisson and normal distributions; Correlation and linear regression.
Section 8: Numerical Methods
Solution of systems of linear equations using LU decomposition, Gauss elimination and Gauss-Seidel methods; Lagrange and Newton’s interpolations, Solution of polynomial and transcendental equations by Newton-Raphson method; Numerical integration by trapezoidal rule, Simpson’s rule and Gaussian quadrature rule; Numerical solutions of first order differential equations by Euler’s method and 4th order Runge-Kutta method.
Getting Your GATE Exam Result 2019
To get you your GATE Exam Result 2019, click on the link below:
Please note that the link is not active now and it would be activated once the official GATE Exam Result 2019 is declared. You need to follow the given instructions to download your GATE Exam Result 2019
Instructions to Download GATE Result 2019
You need to follow these simple steps to get your GATE Result 2019
- Step 1: Click on the link above
- Step 2: Click on “GATE Result” tab
- Step 3: Enter your enrollment ID, Registration ID, and Password
- Step 4: Check that all the information entered is correct. Once, you are satisfied, click on ‘Submit’
- Step 5: The result will tell you whether you have qualified for GATE 2019 or not.
So, these were the details of GATE Exam that you should know. We hope you got the information that you wanted. We wish you all the best for the exam!