Jadavpur University Faculty of Engineering and Technology (JU-FET) is regarded as a premium institute of higher learning situated in the City of Joy, Kolkata. JU-FET is an epitome of excellence and is the best institute that West Bengal has to offer. Each year, around thousands of students, try out their luck in the WB-JEE, thinking they would land up at the doors of the prestigious Jadavpur University, but, only a handful of them manage to phase through the examination procedure and actually get to live the dream.
If you’re an aspirant of Jadavpur University Faculty of Engineering and Technology, then you’ve come at just the right place. So, without wasting a second, let’s take a short trip to Kolkata’s finest educational institution and see what it offers to its students.
Jadavpur University Faculty of Engineering and Technology Kolkata
- The admission procedure at Jadavpur University Faculty of Engineering and Technology Kolkata is highly competitive, and only the cream of the students are able to get through the selection procedure. Admission news is circulated across various newspapers, media channels and is also made available on the college website.
- Admissions at Faculty of Engineering and Technology take place through the WBJEE ( West Bengal Joint Entrance Examination), which follows the counseling procedure.
- Jadavpur University employs a transparent mechanism of admission procedure and makes even the minutest detail to be available for the student concerned.
- The students who get selected are then briefed about the college, its heritage, the quality of education they impart, the faculty members and also inform the students about their roles and responsibilities when in the campus premises
- The college aims to nurture the overall personality of the students by providing them with an atmosphere for growth and development.
Courses offered at JU-FET
The college allows the students to choose from 24 disciplines –
- Bachelor of Architecture
- Bachelor of Engineering in Computer Science & Engineering
- Bachelor of Engineering in Chemical Engineering
- Bachelor of Engineering in Civil Engineering
- Bachelor of Engineering in Electronics & Telecommunication Engineering
- Bachelor of Engineering in Electrical Engineering
- Bachelor of Engineering in Electrical Engineering ( Evening)
- Bachelor of Engineering in Instrumentation & Electronics Engineering
- Bachelor of Engineering in Information Technology
- Bachelor of Engineering in Metallurgical Engineering
- Bachelor of Engineering in Mechanical Engineering
- Bachelor of Engineering in Mechanical Engineering (Evening)
- Bachelor of Engineering in Production Engineering
- Bachelor of Engineering in Printing Engineering
- Bachelor of Engineering in Power Engineering
- Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Technology
- Bachelor of Pharmacy
- Bachelor of Pharmacy (Ayurveda)
- Bachelor of Technology in Instrumentation & Electronics Engineering
- Bachelor of Technology in Food Technology & Biochemical Engineering
Campus Life at Jadavpur University
- The college has two campuses, one at the Saltlake, and the main campus at S.C. Mallick Road. The college provides 13 hostels for its students with 9 being assigned to Boys and the remaining for Girls. The hostels are situated outside the campus premises and have well-furnished cafeterias surrounding them.
- There’s a provision of Guest House for the parents and relatives of the students and consists of 90 double bedrooms, 2 single seater rooms, and 3 AC rooms.
- The college also boasts of a 3-storeyed library which can accommodate a total of 700 students, along with a separate library at the salt lake campus.
- There’s a Health Centre within the college premises which is accessible to all the students.
Clubs and Societies at Jadavpur University Faculty of Engineering and Technology
The Film Society at Jadavpur University is one of those rare clubs and societies to be acknowledged by none other than the Indian Film Federation itself. It has a separate projection room, where special screenings of highly acclaimed movies take place. It has its own journals which get published under the names of Chhabi, Galpa, and Katha.
The club is widely recognized across the nation as well as international level and has been on the receiving end of many accolades and appreciations. It provides training programmes for the students interested in the field of photography under the guidance of trained professionals. The club also hosts many inter club and intra-club competitions and exhibitions. which witnesses humongous participations.
Art and Literary Society
The society conducts various discussions, essay contests, exhibitions, cultural programmes and communication-related competitions. It publishes its own magazines under the names Sandhi and Clarion, with the latter being made available to all the faculties, and alumni of the institution.
The club conducts painting competitions and workshops for the interested students on numerous occasions.
The club is almost two years old and conducts Karate workshops and competitions on a regular basis, which usually witnesses participation in hundreds.
The Envioronment groups work under the banner of Habitat and Green Club which aims to keep the campus clean, and conducts various tree planting activities.
The Drama Club conducts various theatrics, street drama, group drama and plays on numerous occasions throughout the year. It also organizes many workshops which lay emphasis on drama and theatre.
Mountaineering and Hiking Club
As the name suggests, the Club conducts various trekking expeditions and also conducts courses pertaining to the climbing and mountaineering for the interested students.
The Science Club organizes various seminars, workshops and discussions centered on scientific happenings and events taking place across the world.
The Ches Club conducts chess competitions on a regular basis throughout the scholastic year. The members of the Chess Club even participate in inter-university competitions and have appeared meritorious on many accounts.
- NIRF (National Institutional Ranking Framework) ranked it 12th on the list of the top Engineering colleges across the nation for the year 2018.
- NIRF ranked it 6th in the list of the top universities across the country.
- TIMES ranked it 127th, in the list of the top universities across Asia.
Notable Alumni of Jadavpur University Faculty of Engineering and Technology
- Amitabha Bhattacharya, Production Engineer, Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Laureate
- Samir Das, Professor of Computer Science, Stony Brook, University
- Shreyan Chattopadhyay, Music Director, and Composer
- Sibaji Bandyopadhyay, Author, and Critic
- Somnath Das Gupta, Former Vice-Chancellor of Assam University
- Arundhati Bhattacharya, First woman chairperson of State Bank of India (SBI)
- Parambrata Chatterjee, Actor
- K.S Dasgupta, Director of Indian Institute of Space Science and Technology
- Debalina Majumdar, Documentary Director
- Saroj Ghose, Former Director, Birla Industrial and Technological Museum
- Neel Mukherjee, Novelist
- Arnab Roy, Blogger, and Author
- Ramaranjan Mukerji, Writer, Recipient of Padma Shri, Former Chancellor of Rashtriya Sanskrit Vidyapeeth
- Subir Raha, Former Director of ONGC ( Oil and Natural Gas Corporation)
- Mohammed Salim, Politician
Address: 188, Raja s.c. Malick road, Kolkata 700032
Phone no: +9133-24146666
For more information regarding the institute, you can click on the following link
I guess now you must have realized as to why Jadavpur University is ranked amongst the best colleges across the nation. It is truly a class apart. Jadavpur University Faculty of Engineering and Technology Kolkata is one of those rare breeds of institutes that could give the Top IITs and NITs a run for their money. It inculcates amongst the students the will to stand up against the adversities, makes the students more disciplined and motivates them to break the societal barriers if needed to implement what is necessary, something which you won’t ever find in any institute of the nation