Hello everyone! Let us take a look at the current affairs and news for 29th January 2019. The current affairs and news are given below:
Current Affairs and News: 29th January 2019
Pranab Mukherjee, Nanaji Deshmukh, Bhupen Hazarika awarded Bharat Ratna
Nanaji Deshmukh and singer Bhupen Hazarika were awarded Bharat Ratna posthumously.
About Pranab Mukherjee:
- Pranab Mukherjee served as the 13th President of India from 2012 until 2017.
- A veteran congressman, Pranab Mukherjee had held various key portfolios like Finance, Defence and External Affairs as Union Minister.
About Nanaji Deshmukh:
- Nanaji Deshmukh laid great emphasis on education as a social worker.
- The first Saraswati Shishu Mandir was established by him at Gorakhpur in 1950.
- He was a member of RSS and also served as General Secretary of Bharatiya Jana Sangh.
- Nanaji Deshmukh took part in Jai Prakash Narayan movement during the Emergency.
- He got elected as a member of Lok Sabha from Balrampur in 1977.
- He has also served as a nominated member of Rajya Sabha.
- Nanaji was awarded Padma Vibhushan in 1999.
About Bhupen Hazarika:
- Bhupen Hazarika was a playback singer, lyricist, musician, singer, poet and film-maker from Assam, widely known as Sudhakantha.
- He mainly wrote and sang in the Assamese language.
- His works were marked by humanity and universal brotherhood and have been translated and sung in many languages.
- He also served as a channel to introduce the culture and folk music of Assam and Northeast India to Hindi cinema at the national level.
India successfully tests LRSAM off the coast of Odisha
India has successfully flight tested Long Range Surface-to-Air Missile (LRSAM) from a warship off Odisha coast. The LRSAM successfully destroyed a low flying aerial target. This paves way for its deployment in the armed forces.
Salient features of the LRSAM:
- LRSAM has been jointly developed by Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO), India and M/s Israel Aerospace Industries (IAI) for the Indian Navy.
- LRSAM has an operational range of 75 km and it can destroy airborne threats like jets, aircraft, anti-ship missiles, unmanned aerial vehicles and rockets including projectiles launched simultaneously.
- The LRSAM has a length of about 4.5 meters, a diameter of 0.54 meter, a wingspan of 0.94 meters and weighs around 275 kg including a 60 kg warhead which detonates at proximity.
Lance Naik Nazir Wani awarded Ashoka Chakra posthumously
India’s highest peacetime gallantry honour, Ashoka Chakra was awarded to Lance Naik Nazir Wani posthumously. The award was presented by President Ram Nath Kovind and was received by Wani’s wife and mother at the Republic Day celebrations held at Rajpath. Lance Naik Nazir Wani also holds the distinction of being the first Kashmiri to be conferred the Ashoka Chakra. Lance Naik Nazir Wani single-handedly killed two terrorists during the Shopian operation and injured a third one despite receiving serious injuries. Lance Naik Nazir Wani prevented the escape of the terrorists from the target house. He made a huge contribution in neutralizing six hardcore terrorists. In the process, he sacrificed his life.
IRCTC to launch Samantha Express on February 14th
Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation (IRCTC) will launch a new train Samantha Express on February 14 from Nagpur. The Samantha Express will cover prominent places associated with Gautam Buddha and chief architect of the Constitution, Dr. B R Ambedkar.
The Samantha Express will run through the following places:
- Chaityabhoomi (Mumbai): Dr. Ambedkar was cremated here after his death on 6 December 1956 and it hosts a memorial for Dr. Ambedkar.
- Mhow (Indore): Dr. Ambedkar was born at Mhow.
- Bodhgaya (Gaya): Bodhgaya is a place where Buddha is said to have obtained Enlightenment under the Bodhi Tree.
- Sarnath (Varanasi): Gautama Buddha first taught the Dharma here.
- Lumbini (Nautanwa): It is the place where Gautama Buddha was born.
- Kushinagar (Gorakhpur): It is the place where Gautama Buddha attained Parinirvana after his death.
- Deekshabhoomi (Nagpur): It is the place where Dr. Ambedkar converted to Buddhism.
Department of Science (DST) Mission Centres inaugurated at the IIT-Madras
The Union Minister for Science and Technology inaugurated the three Department of Science and Technology (DST) mission centres at the Indian Institute Technology Madras (IIT-M) at the collective cost of Rs 50 crore.
- DST -IITM Solar Energy Harnessing Centre:
- This will focus on a wide range of research and technology development activities such as silicon solar cells that promise high efficiency and are suited for Indian conditions.
- DST- IITM Centre for Sustainable Treatment, Reuse, and Management for Efficient, Affordable and Synergistic Solutions for Water (Water-IC for SUTRAM of EASY WATER):
- It focuses on synchronized research and training programs on various issues related to wastewater management, water treatment, sensor development, stormwater management, and distribution and collection systems.
- DST-IITM-KGDS Test-bed on Solar Thermal Desalination Solutions in Narippaiyur:
- It has been established with an aim to deliver customized technology solutions to address prevalent water challenges in the arid coastal village located on the shores of the Bay of Bengal.
This was the Current Affairs and News for 29th January 2019. Hope you found this article on current affairs and news to be useful for your preparation. To know about the syllabus for SBI Clerk, click on the link below: