College of Engineering, Guindy (CEG) is hailed as one of the premium institutes of the nation, a center of higher excellence that aims to impart sound technical education among the students. Thousands of students study day-in and day-out during their secondary schooling just to get a 4-year ticket into this deemed institute, but, only a handful of students who possess the perseverance, skill, and knowledge in the right proportions finally are able to make it here.
So what makes the College of Engineering so much to hype about? What’s so intriguing about this college that makes it the best among the rest? Is it the Campus? College Life? Faculties? It’s a never-ending list!
So let’s not waste any time further and look right away as to what makes College of Engineering, Guindy as a Centre of Higher Excellence across the nation.
College of Engineering , Guindy
College of Engineering, Guindy was established way back in 1794 and is India’s oldest educational institute and also happens to be the oldest institute to provide technical education outside Europe. It’s also one of the first colleges in the country to provide bachelors degree in Mechanical engineering, Printing technology, Highway engineering and Electrical Engineering. College of Engineering has been one of the most promising institutes of the nation that has over the years produced some eminent personalities in the field of technology, sports, cinema, and literature.
Campus and Infrastructure at College of Engineering, Guindy
The college is located at the heart of the city and spread across an area of 223 acres. It boasts of having around 16 hostels that can accommodate up to 3500 students with the provision of separate hostels for foreign exchange students.
- The food is generally served in highly spacious centralized halls with the mess facility at the hostels delivering quality food at regular intervals.
- The stores available on campus are shoe marts, stationery stores, and department outlets along with STD/ISD Booths, Barber and Tailor shops.
- ATMs and banks are present inside the campus premises to meet the requirements of the students.
- Provision of a travel agency to meet the student’s needs by booking air, rail or bus tickets.
- Large playgrounds, swimming pool, gymnasiums, arenas, along with athletic tracks and courts.
- Cafeteria, Restaurants and CEG Canteen to provide mouth-watering dishes.
Admission Criteria at College of Engineering, Guindy
The selections are purely on the merit basis with the grades scored in the class 12th examination. The notice for the admission is circulated through the University website and newspapers and the admission takes place via a single window admission system which is controlled by the Anna University. The marks obtained by the students in the class 12th is then scaled to 200 which forms the basis of the merit list generation. Further rounds of counseling then take place based on the student’s ranking.
Events at College of Engineering, Guindy
It is one of Southern India’s greatest college festivals which constitute creative and innovative workshops on DJ, Photography and other entertaining shows.
It is a musical concert organized by the Rotaract Club with the intent to raise funds for the weaker sections of the society.
Its known as the 1st college festival to gain UNESCO’s patronage and has over the years, been one of the most desired inter-college fests across India. It includes various workshops, technical events, and activities, guest lectures from eminent personalities to boost up the student’s technical soundness.
Clubs and Societies at College of Engineering, Guindy
- Guindy Times – It’s the campus magazine that covers the news revolving around the happenings across the college.
- Robotics Club– It aims to impart knowledge about robotics by the conduction of workshops, events, and courses revolving around it.
- SQC- Students Quality Club helps the students to enhance their personal and professional development and help them to ensure a memorable industry experience.
- Green Brigade– It aims to promote awareness regarding the environment. Also, it is the only non-technical fest at CEG that works in association with NGO’s and conducts events for environmental awareness.
- LEO Club– The club focuses on giving the students a platform to boost up their leadership abilities which further leads to their all-round development.
- Twisters– It is the dance club of CEG that enjoys a serious fan base across the city with their performance and creativity and at the same time encourages the interested individuals to participate and learn the various dance forms and techniques.
- Saptham– It aims to provide knowledge to students in the field of classical or traditional arts, music, and dance.
- Quizzers Anonymous– It is the quiz club that conducts quizzes on a regular basis in the field of arts and knowledge.
- Rotaract Club of CEG- They organize multiple events with the intent of imbibing the feeling of social responsibility among students.
- Literary Club of Anna University– The club aims to improvise on the literary talents and abilities of the students by conducting various intra-level and interlevel contests and activities.
- Students Association of CEG- They are a group of the students that act as a mediator between the students and the management. They are the official student organization of the institution that put forward their views regarding the welfare of the institute.
- Siruthuligal– It is a student club that works with the intent of providing financial help to students in their education and healthcare.
- Spartanz– It is a college troupe that focuses on the student’s passion and interest towards the theatres.
- Aakrithi- It is a complete women’s club that works for the help and welfare of the women.
- CSAU- The club aims to develop and improvise the student’s knowledge of computer science and conducts various courses and workshops.
- Mathavam- The club is formed by the Tamil speaking group of the college who are deeply fond of the language and literature and has a humongous powerhouse of talent that can be put up for utilization.
The College of Engineering, Guindy was ranked 7th in the list of top 100 Engineering Colleges in India by Outlook India for the year 2017. The Week ( Indian Magazine) ranked it 11th on the list of top 100 Colleges in India to pursue Engineering for the year 2017.
Notable Alumni of College of Engineering, Guindy
Over the years, College of Engineering, Guindy has become a leading educational institute in producing some of the finest minds in the country who have witnessed unprecedented heights in their respective careers.
- Dhiraj Rajaram, Founder, Mu Sigma Inc.
- A.C Muthiah, President, BCCI( 1999-2001)
- Krishnakumar Natarajan, Chairman & Co-founder, Mindtree
- Krishnamachari Srikkanth, Former Team India Captain, Chairman of Selection Committee
- Verghese Kurien, Father of White Revolution in India, Milkman of India
- Anumolu Ramakrishna, Recipient of Padma Bhushan, Former Deputy Managing Director at Larsen & Toubro
- Raj Reddy, Recipient of Turing Award, Professor at Carnegie Mellon University (CMU)
- Mendu Rammohan Rao, Dean, Indian School of Business (ISB)
- Upendra J. Chivukula, Democratic Politician, New Jersey Board of Public Utilities
- Crazy Mohan, Highly popular Tamil Film Actor and Scriptwriter
- Akkineni Nagarjuna, Telegu Movie Superstar
- R.K Baliga, Known as the Father of Electronic City in Bengaluru
- Munirathna Anandakrishnan, Former Vice-Chancellor of Anna University, Former Chairman of IIT Kanpur
Address: College of Engineering Guindy, 12, Sardar Patel Rd, Guindy, Chennai 600025
Phone Number: 044-22358491
Email: [email protected]
To know more about the College, you can visit the official website – College of Engineering, Guindy
Wow! Now that’s what you call as a top-notch institute, Isn’t it? People don’t just flock in at huge numbers from every part of the nation without any solid grounds to get themselves enrolled in this esteemed institute. The fact that so many elite individuals, who were once a rookie when stepping foot into this institute, in a matter of years plunged their way to the top levels and went on to become the kingpins of their respective organizations just adds up to this institute’s grandeur.