The Common Law Admission Test or CLAT exam is an All India entrance examination, for students wishing to study law undergraduate and postgraduate courses in government/private law colleges and institutes in India. The CLAT 2019 entrance will be organized by National Law University Odisha, Cuttack – the one of the 20 NLU’s in India.
A recent update, this year CLAT exam will be conducted by NLUO. The tentative date for CLAT 2019 exam is May 12, 2019. The NLUO will organize CLAT 2019 in offline mode.
CLAT 2019 will offer approximately 20,000 LLB and LLM seats at the 20 NLU accepting the CLAT 2019 scores. The many top private colleges also offer admission on the basis of CLAT scores. This article provides a brief synopsis of CLAT 2019 important dates, exam pattern, qualifying percentile, merit list, and counseling & admission process.
CLAT Exam 2019 At Glance
Here, we provide the candidate the brief synopsis of CLAT 2019 exam and the paper pattern.
|1||Full Form CLAT||Common Law Admission Test(UG/PG)|
|3||Conducting Body||National Law University Odisha, Cuttack|
|4||CLAT is conducted for||Undergraduate and Postgraduate Degree (Separate Papers)|
|5||Mode of Exam||Offline|
|6||Duration of Exam||3 hours|
|7||Syllabus||General & Legal Aptitude etc|
|8||Type & No. of Questions||MCQ, 200(UG) & 150(PG)|
|10||Marking Scheme||+1 for each correct response; -.25 for incorrect response|
The CLAT will be a single window exam in 2019. The pattern of the exam is expected to remain the same as of last year.
Important Dates CLAT Exam 2019
Candidates aspiring for studying law courses at different NLU’s and best colleges which accept CLAT scores should be well aware of the CLAT 2019 schedule. It will help candidate is preparing well beforehand.
|The release of the application form date||First week of January 2019|
|Last date to apply for CLAT 2019||Last week of March 2019|
|Admit Card CLAT 2019 exam||Last week of April 2019|
|CLAT Offline Exam 2019||May 12, 2019|
|Results CLAT||First week of June 2019|
Eligibility Criteria CLAT Exam 2019
The eligibility conditions and the minimum age limit information is the same as per last year. The CLAT exam eligibility condition is as follows:
- Age Criteria – The student should be minimum 17 years of age as on December 31, 2019.
- Nationality – All Indian Nationals, Foreign Nationals including NRI’s, OCI’s and POIs.
- Educational Qualification – The student should have a minimum aggregate of 45% and 40% in class 12 qualifying exam for general and reserved category candidates resp.
- Educational Qualification Qualification for PG entrance- A candidate should have a minimum aggregate of 55%(general) and 50%(SC/ST) in the LLB course study.
CLAT Application Form
The CLAT 2019 application will be available on the official portal from 1 January to 30 March 2019. The candidates willing to apply for CLAT 2019 should know the procedure to fill the application form. Here is a brief synopsis for the same,
- Registration: It is mandatory to register yourself on the CLAT 2019 portal by entering the personal details and creating a unique application.
- Filing up the application form: The candidate will have to log in for filling the personal(name, address, parents name, gender, date of birth, the category of the candidate etc), academic details(12 class marks, 10 class marks, last school attended, etc) and the category applied in exam with the Paper applying for in the application form.
- In the application form, the only candidate has to mention the requirement of a scribe(in case of requirements).
- Payment of Application Fee: The final form submission requires a candidate to pay the application form fee i.e. 4000 for general/OBC/SAP and 3500 for SC/ST candidates.
- Payment Receipt: The candidate should take a print out of the receipt and keep carefully for future references.
CLAT Exam Centres 2019
The CLAT 2018 was held in 68 cities approximately in India. Aspirants have to fill in their choice of exam centre according to the order of preference in the application form. CLAT 2019 exam centres will be allotted according to the preference and the availability of the exam centres. Check the list of CLAT exam centers here.
CLAT 2019 Admit Card
Candidates who will successfully submit the application for CLAT 2019 will be able to download their CLAT Admit card 2019.
- The CLAT admit card will release in last week of April 2019 on the official portal of CLAT 2019 exam.
- The admit card will be sent to registered email ID or candidate himself/herself can download from the official portal.
- A candidate can easily download the CLAT admit card by visiting the CLAT 2019 website.
- Click on the CLAT 2019 admit card link and enter the required credentials for a successful login and download the admit card.
- The admit card is mandatory for sitting in the exam. No candidate can enter the exam center without admit card.
CLAT Exam Pattern
The official notice suggests the exam pattern will remain the same as the previous year for CLAT 2019.
- The CLAT exam 2019 will have questions from quantitative ability, logical reasoning, legal aptitude and English language & comprehensions for LLB programme. The syllabus for LLM will be based on the previous study (LLB).
- The total questions will be 200(UG) and 150(PG) and the total marks will be 200.
- Each question will carr +1 mark for a correct answer and -0.25 mark for an incorrect choice.
- The exam will be offline and for three hours
CLAT Syllabus 2019
Syllabus for the UG program will cover questions from General Knowledge & Current Affairs, Legal Aptitude, English, Mathematics, Logical Reasoning. The GK and Legal Aptitude section will carry the maximum weightage in the law entrance exam.
General Knowledge & Current Affairs
This section will include questions from General Knowledge and Current Affairs. The questions from GK will test the static knowledge of candidates from the prominent aspects of the national and international level.
This section will test candidate ability and interest towards understanding & solving issues of legal nature. the type of question asked in this part is that the number of propositions will be given and the candidates will have to analyze the truthfulness of the proposition and assume the most suitable answer.
English and Comprehension
The CLAT English syllabus is formulated to test the grammatical understanding of candidates. The section will have questions from sentence corrections, jumbled sentences, idioms, and phrases etc. There will be a passage of approx. 300 – 400 words. The questions will be passage based.
The logical reasoning section checks a candidate’s ability to analyze patterns and arguments. It will include questions on syllogisms, logical sequences, analogies, etc. Understand and analyze various conditions set in questions and deduce correct conclusions.
CLAT Mathematics Syllabus- This section will include elementary mathematics. It tests candidate’s accuracy with numbers and calculations.
CLAT Answer Key 2019
The CLAT answer key will help candidates in determining their expected final marks in the CLAT exam. The provisional answer key of CLAT 2019 will also provide the test takers an opportunity to file objections against the discrepant question (if any) and get them rectified before the CLAT 2019 results are announced.
CLAT Final Answer Key 2019 will be released after the provisional answer keys rectification(if any) is done. The final answer key of CLAT 2019 will help the candidates in knowing the final answers to the common law admission test questions. With the CLAT final answer key, candidates will be able to guess the probable scores in the national-level law admission test.
CLAT Results 2019
CLAT will declare the CLAT 2019 results on June 12, 2019. The result will be available on the official website of CLAT. You can view and download the results by logging in using your login username/application number and password.
Cut Off CLAT 2019
The cutoff or the minimum marks are the marks a candidate achieve for qualification in the entrance test. The candidates who meet the cutoff requirement of CLAT 2019 will be eligible to attend the counseling for admissions.
The CLAT cut off is determined by the exam committee considering the result and merit list of the CLAT entrance exam. CLAT 2019 cut-off will depend on various factors including minimum marks, maximum marks, the total number of test takers, and a number of vacant seats. Candidates will be able to participate in CLAT Counseling if they meet the cutoff of CLAT 2019.
CLAT Merit List
NLUO Cuttack will release the merit list with the result of CLAT 2019. The CLAT 2019 Merit list or the rank list will include the ranks of all the candidates who will appear in CLAT 2019. Candidates will get all the information on the marks, rank, total number of test-takers, category, and state rank, in the merit list of CLAT 2019.
CLAT Participating Institutes 2019
There are in total 20 National Law Universities which will participate in CLAT 2019. Along with 20 NLUs, there are other law schools in India which accepts CLAT score for admissions into the law programmes.
CLAT Seats and Reservation 2019
CLAT entrance exam scores determine the admissions to undergraduate and postgraduate law course. The CLAT committee follows the government policy for reservation of seats for CLAT.
27% of total seats
15% of total seats
7.5% of total seats
CLAT Seat Allotment 2019
This is an important part of the CLAT 2019 Counselling. In this process, if a candidate accepts the seat allotted to him/her, then the candidate will be required to deposit the fee within the given date. There will be seat cancellation if the fee will not be deposited on time. There will be approx three lists of CLAT 2019 Seat Allotment that will be published for the admission of the law aspirants.
CLAT 2019 Counseling and Admissions
The CLAT exam counseling will tentatively start from the third week of June 2019. The counseling for the CLAT 2019 will have
- CLAT counseling will be a three round process.
- There will be a mock counseling round where a candidate will be able to select the indicative seat.
- The CLAT office will hold counseling for 19 NLU’s.
- Counseling process will include choice locking and seat allotment process
- If candidates do not submit fees for the seat chosen, there will be automatic seat cancellation.
- The counseling for the private and other participating institutes will be organized by the respective state counseling authorities.
After the counseling process, candidates must report to their allotted colleges within the specified time period. For the admission process, candidates must take original documents for verification and self-attested photocopies.
The seat allotment will happen on the basis of CLAT rank, score, and preferences of the candidate during counseling.