Do you have exceptional management and leadership skills to tackle the world-class problems in the increasingly insecure, complex and fragile world? Are you willing to pursue your education in the business sector to equip yourself with the ability to think laterally, logically and independently? Then, Common Admission Test (CAT) 2019 is your door to the realization of your dream education. Read the following article to know the complete information about Exam like Important dates, Application form and Registration, Eligibility, Exam pattern and Syllabus, Last minute preparation tips along with Section wise preparation tips.
Common Admission Test (CAT) 2019
This is a computer-based 3-hour test conducted every year in roughly about 354 centres across the country to determine admissions for the MBA programs of the various Indian Universities including the Indian Institute Of Management (IIMs). This competitive test is conducted each year by one of the IIMs on a policy of rotation. This serves as a substitute for the Joint Management Entrance Test(JMET) and is considered a pre-requisite for admissions to the management programs in Indian Institute Of Technology (IIT) and Indian Institute of Science (IISc). This test aims at testing the candidates’ Quantitative Aptitude, Data Interpretation, Data Sufficiency, Verbal Ability, Reading Comprehension, Logical Reasoning and Analytical Reasoning skills.
CAT 2019 Important Dates[su_table]
|Notification release||July/August 2018|
|Online Application begins||2nd week of August 2018|
|Last date to apply||3rd Week of September 2018|
|Issuance of Admit Card||3rd Week of October 2018|
|Exam date||November 25, 2018|
|Declaration of Result||2nd Week of January 2019|
Eligibility Criteria for CAT 2019
- The candidate must hold a Bachelor’s Degree, with at least 50% marks or equivalent CGPA [45% in case of the candidates belonging to SC/ST/PwD categories], from any University or educational institution as recognized by an Act of the Parliament or State legislature in India or declared to be deemed as a University under Section 3 of the UGC Act, 1956, or possess an equivalent qualification recognized by the Ministry of HRD, Government of India.
- Candidates appearing for the final year of Bachelor’s degree/equivalent qualification examination and those who have completed degree requirements and are awaiting results can also apply. However, it may be noted that such candidates, if selected, will be allowed to join the programme provisionally, only if they submit a certificate from the Principal / Registrar of their University/institution (issued on or before the date as stipulated by the respective IIM) stating that they have completed all the requirements for obtaining the Bachelor’s degree/equivalent qualification on the date of the issue of the certificate.
The percentage of marks obtained by the candidate would be calculated based on the practice as followed by the respective University/Institution. In case of grades / CGPA, the conversion to the percentage of marks would be based on the procedure as certified by the respective University/ Institution. If any University/institution confirms that there is no scheme for converting CGPA into equivalent marks, the equivalence would be established by dividing the candidate’s CGPA by the maximum possible CGPA, and multiplying the result with 100.
Reservation rules are followed by the IIMs and government institutions. The table below presents the distribution of category wise reservation:[su_table]
|Persons with Disability||3%|
|Other Backward Class||27%|
CAT 2019 – How to apply
Candidates need to follow a multi-step procedure in order to successfully fill the CAT 2019 application form as mentioned below:
Firstly, applicants need to provide their name, DOB, e-mail ID, phone number, after which they will receive a unique ID and password
Use the ID and Password provided after registration. Go through the instructions carefully.
3. Enter your personal details
Type in your details, i.e. parents’ name, category, and upload your signature and photograph
4. Enter educational details
Fill in your academic qualifications wherever required
5. Mention work experience
Those who are working full-time or have worked previously need to provide their employment details
6. Choose programs
Select the programs for which you are interested in and your preferred city of interview.
7. Complete payment
Pay the fees online via credit cards (Visa/Master/Amex/Diners Club), debit cards (Visa/Master/Rupay), net banking and Cash Card & Wallet.[su_table]
|Category||Application Fee for CAT 2019|
|Other categories||INR 1800 + Procession Fee|
|SC, ST and PwD||INR 900 + Procession Fee|
After successful payment of fees, you will see your page being redirected to the official website of CAT 2019.
CAT 2019 Exam Syllabus
Though there is no prescribed syllabus for CAT exam, the aspiring candidates must have a wide and in-depth knowledge with regard to such topics as Number Systems, Profit, Loss And Discount, Least Common Multiple And Highest Common Factor, Speed, Distance And Time, Percentage, Time And Work, Ratio And Proportion, Average, Quadratic Equations, Linear Equations, Complex Numbers, Simple And Compound Interest, Logarithm, Sequences And Series, Inequality, Probability, Surds And Indices, Set Theory And Functions, Permutation And Combination, Mixtures And Allegations, Trigonometry, Coordinate Geometry, Geometry, Mensuration, Tables, Caselets, Bar Graphs, Line Charts, Column Graph, Venn Diagram, Pie Chart, Basic Reasoning Questions, Calenders, Number And Letter Series, Clocks, Cubes, Seating Arrangement, Binary Logic, Logical Matching, Logical Sequence, Syllogism, Logical Connectives, Blood Relations, English Grammar, Vocabulary based questions, Reading Comprehension, Facts-Inferences- judgments, Verbal Reasoning, Summary Questions, Analogies and related areas.
Exam Pattern for CAT 2019
There are Multiple Choice Questions and non-Multiple Choice Questions. One is expected to answer the questions in the pre-specified order. Each question carries 3 marks. There is no mark-reduction for wrong or unattempted non-MCQ questions. However, there will be a 1-mark reduction for wrong MCQs. The candidates can use a virtual calculator and are not allowed to bring calculators to the exam hall. 1 hour is allotted for each section.
The exam is divided into the following three sections :
- Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension (VARC): This is the first section and has a total of 36 questions with 24-27 MCQs and 7-10 non-MCQs. One can expect questions relating to basic English Grammar and Vocabulary though such questions have not appeared in the CAT question papers since 2015. Verbal Ability Questions relating to Jumbled Paragraphs, Paragraph Summary and Pick Out The Odd One Out amounts to 10 questions. Reading Comprehension Questions cover a major portion of this section and have a total of 24 questions. The maximum marks for this section are 102 and the maximum time allotted is 60 minutes.
- Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning (DILR): This section has a total of about 32 questions with 28 MCQs and 8 non-MCQs. There are roughly 16 questions from each of these parts [that is, Data Interpretation (DI) and Logical Reasoning (LR)]. Spending more than 7 minutes on these questions implies that you need more practice and expertise over the area. The maximum marks for this section are 96 and the maximum time allotted is 1 hour.
- Quantitative Ability (Quant): This section has a total of 34 questions with 23-27 MCQs and 7-11 non-MCQs. More focus is given to Percentage, Profit And Loss, Time, Speed, Work, Interest among others. The maximum marks are 102 and the maximum time allotted is 60 minutes.
|S.No.||Section||No. of Questions||Sectional Duration (minutes)||Maximum marks|
|1||Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension (VALR)||34||60||102|
|2||Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning (DILR)||32||60||96|
|3||Quantitative Ability (QA)||34||60||102|
For further information with regard to the exam pattern of CAT 2019, read our detailed article on:
Exam Preparation for CAT 2019
Preparing for CAT is not a haphazard process. After having a basic idea about the exam syllabus and pattern commences the elaborate process of preparation focusing deeply on each of the separate sections.
Section wise Preparation
The following provides you with an in-depth analysis of the basic sections and details important preparation tips that might assist you in the whole process.
- Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension
- This part aims at evaluating the candidates’ acquaintance with the basic English language including vocabulary, grammar and related areas.
- Questions relating to Grammar and Vocabulary questions are relatively simple dealing with the meaning of simple basic English words and basic English Grammar including Subject-verb Agreement, Pronoun Reference Errors, Idiomatic Errors, Parallel Construction Errors among others. Such questions have not been asked since 2015.
- The primary focus of this section is on the Reading Comprehension Questions which has about 24 questions. Reading carefully rather than merely skimming will help you fetch high scores in this part. Practice hard by reading more and more.For detailed information and important tips on how to prepare for Verbal ability section of CAT Exam, consider reading our article on
- Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning
- This section includes Paragraph Logic Questions and Critical Reasoning Questions to evaluate the candidates’ analytical and reasoning skills which are pre-requisite for MBA students.
- Questions relating to team formation, family tree, family pair, direction sense and seating arrangements, ranking questions, questions to strengthen or weaken an argument, questions to identify parallel arguments, assumptions and inference and questions to select the best conclusions can be expected in the LR section.
- DI questions primarily focus on such areas as Table Analysis, Data Comparison, Bar Graph Analysis, Ratio, Percentage, Pie charts, Line Graphs and Data Analysis among others. Refer to the best books for preparation and go through the strategies followed by the previous year toppers. Ensure that you remain updated with regard to the syllabus and pattern. Practice by solving previous year question papers and mock-tests.For detailed information and important tips on how to prepare for this section of DI and LR Exam, consider reading our article on
- Quantitative Ability
- Unlike the other sections, Quant questions are based purely on Mathematics and hence try to enhance your mathematical skills through practice and productive learning.
- Broadly, the questions relating to such areas as Arithmetic, Number System, PnC, Algebra, Geometry, Modern Math, Probability, Series And Sequences, Integers and Mensuration among others come under this section.
- Solving previous year question papers and clearing mock tests will help you to analyze your strengths and weaknesses. Reach out to the best available books and have an extended knowledge on everything covered in the syllabus.For detailed information and important tips on how to prepare for Quantitative section, consider reading our article on
General CAT 2019 Preparation Tips
Apart from the subjective knowledge, there are other factors to be given attention to which will help you score high in the exam. Efficient time-management skills will enable you to cover the entire syllabus within time. A tensed and worried mind can carry nothing substantial. Hence, it is important to be stress-free and confident. Practice more to ensure the best of your performance.
Before the Exam – Last Minute Tips
After the elaborate process of learning and preparation, you are now drawn closer to the day you have been eagerly working for. Be confident in what you have learnt and try to clear out the official mock test presented by the authorized. You can find this on the official website of IIM CAT some days prior to the examination. Our experts have prepared for you some tips on the best manner to approach each of the separate sections. Consider reading this article to enhance your performance.
CAT 2019 Admit Card
Aspirants for CAT 2019 will be able to download the admit card in the 3rd week of October 2018. It will be available in the online mode only and can be downloaded from the official website with the help of your credentials. Candidates would be required to carry CAT Admit card along with a photo ID proof.
Result for CAT 2019
Result for CAT 2019 will be released in the 2nd week of January 2019 and shortlisted candidates will be able to see their names on the list which will be published online. Scorecard for CAT exam is valid for 1 year. We will provide the link for the result as soon as its available.
Preparing for the Interview
Merely cracking the CAT Examination does not make you an eligible MBA student in the prominent B-schools. This is but your first step to be recognized as an MBA student. After crossing the first stage, the eligible candidates are invited to attend the written ability test or group discussion and a personality test or interview.
The purpose of this stage is to make an on-site study of the candidates’ interpersonal skills and to analyze their behavior. Interviews provide you with an opportunity to exhibit those talents and skills which could not be revealed through a written test. Excel in this stage to convince the Interview Board that you are a fitting applicant. Anticipate the questions likely to be asked and prepare their answers. Make an effort to put you more in control of the interview. Attending mock-interviews might help you in the process. If you find crossing this stage difficult, don’t worry. Our expert articles on interviews preparation will relieve your frustration and will aid you in the entire process.
During the Interview
Remember that you are being constantly watched and analysed. Knowingly or unknowingly, you are creating an image of yourself through the way you behave and speak which is likely to affect your future. Hence be constantly conscious about your body language and speech mannerisms. Here are some DOs and DON’Ts defined by our experts that might help you.
For exam notifications and mock-test, visit the official website: IIM CAT OFFICIAL WEBSITE
This exam provides you with an opportunity to pursue a challenging and thought-provoking degree to progress swiftly to career progressions meeting your expectations. With the intensive, immersive and intellectually stimulating experiences, you can be molded into leaders of unusual ability, sophistication and integrity. Good luck for your attempts!