Do you have a high level of commitment and capacity for intellectual growth to discuss and analyze various aspects of design critically? Do you want to your subject knowledge, analytical, and communication skills needed for a professional environment in this field? Then, the National Institute of Design(NID) can be a place for the realization of your creative goals, all you have to do is clear the Design Aptitude Test.
National Institute of Design, popular by the acronym NID, is a scientific and industrial design research organization funded by the Indian Central Government. This Institute of National Importance, ranked 69th among the top 100 fashion schools of the world by CEOWORLD magazine in 2017, is an autonomous Design School with its main campus in Gujarat and its branches in Karnataka, Andhra Pradesh, Assam, and Haryana.
Undergraduate Courses Offered at National Institue of Design
(I) Bachelor of Design(4 years) in the following disciplines:
- Animation Film Design
- Exhibition Design
- Film and Video Communication
- Graphic Design
- Ceramic and Glass Design
- Furniture and Interior Design
- Product Design
- Textile Design
(II) Graduate Diploma Program in Design(four years) in any of the following disciplines:
- Industrial Design
- Communication Design
- Textile and Apparel Design
The admission to these programs is determined wholly on a merit-cum-performance basis in the national entrance exam organized every year by the institute called Design Aptitude Test(DAT).
Design Aptitude Test(DAT)
Design Aptitude Test, popular by the acronym DAT, is a national-level joint entrance exam organized and conducted annually in two stages by the National Institute of Design to determine admissions to the various undergraduate programs in design offered by the various branches of the institute by assessing the knowledge, skills and behavioral skills of the candidates.
|The application form will be made available online by||September last week 2018|
|The last date for submission of online application form||October last week 2018|
|The last date for receiving the application forms in hard-copy||November first week 2018|
|Admit Cards for DAT Prelims will be issued by||December third week 2018|
|DAT Prelims Exam||January first week 2019|
|Results of DAT Prelims Exam will be declared by||March second week 2019|
|Admit Cards for DAT Mains Exam will be issued by||March third week 2019|
|Final Merit list will be published by||May last week 2019|
The candidate must meet with the following conditions to be eligible for admission to the B.Des program:
- The upper age limit for candidates belonging to the General Category is 20 years as on 30 June 2019. There is a relaxation of 3 years for candidates belonging to OBC-NCL/SC/ST categories. The upper age limit is 25 years for PwD candidates.
- The candidate must have passed any of the following qualifying examinations in the previous year or in the current year of appearance:
- The final examination of 10+2 system conducted by any Central or State Board recognized by the Association Of Indian Universities(AIU).
- Intermediate or Pre-University examination conducted by a Board or University recognized by AIU.
- The final examination of the two-year course of the Joint Services Wing of the National Defense Academy.
- Senior Secondary School Examination conducted by the National Institute of Open Schooling with at least five subjects.
- Any exam in India or a foreign country treated as equivalent to the 10+2 system by the AIU.
- H.S.C Vocational Examination.
- GSE Examination ( London, Cambridge or Sri Lanka) at the A level.
- High School Certificate Examination of the Cambridge University or International Baccalaureate Diploma of the International Baccalaureate Office.
- Scanned copy of your recent passport-size photo in JPEG/JPG format with a maximum size of 100KB.
- Scanned copy of the candidate’s signature in JPEG/JPG format with a maximum size of 100KB.
- Certificates for reserved categories in JPEG/JPG format with a maximum size of 150KB as and when applicable
How to Apply
Application forms will be made available online from September last week 2018. Register at the using official website your valid email ID and mobile number. Login using the login credentials sent to your registered email ID. Fill in the required details and click ‘Save and Proceed’ to proceed to the next stage of the application process. Upload the necessary documents in the prescribed format and size as is given in the above table. Click ‘Save and Proceed’ to proceed to the next stage of the application process. Pay the required application fees as is given in the table below online via Credit /Debit card or offline through Demand Draft.
|General and OBC-NCL candidates||2000INR|
The Admit Cards will be made available on the NID website as mentioned. Download and take a print-out of the admit card.
DAT is conducted in the following two sections:
(I) DAT Prelims Exam: This section is an offline test spanning 3 hours conducted in various centers across the country. The question paper is set in English. There will be no penalties for wrong answers. This section aims at evaluating the candidates’ knowledge, analysis, visualization, comprehension, and creativity. This section is sub-divided into the following parts:
- Part I consists of Multiple Choice Questions with a maximum of 70 marks.
- Part II consists of subjective questions with a maximum of 30 marks.
(II) DAT Mains Exam: This section will be out of 100 marks and spans 3 hours and is attempted by those qualified in the Prelims exam. The section consists of tests in different formats and the center of the examination will be Ahmedabad.
Results for admission to NID for the Academic Year 2018–19 for the B.Des. (including overseas candidates) and GDPD programmes will be declared only on the official admissions website on the prescribed dates. Merit list will be prepared accordingly.
For further information and updated notifications, visit the official website –
Attempt DAT to deepen your grounding in the critical and contextual components of this field while continuing your professional development. Good luck with your attempts!AIEED 2019