Which student does not love playing games? How many hours have you spent in front of laptops playing CS, GTA, PUBG and many others as such? These games are addictive and have thousands of students on the hook. A lot of effort is put onto such games which have turned out to be a considerable and promising career in gaming technology.
With the commendable soil of youngsters and the vigor of increasing Internet infiltration through mobiles, laptops, and PCs, Gaming has become one of the immense components of the entertainment industry. With the wide ingress to the internet has created a prodigious demand for online games and with the advent of technology, the industry of Gaming Technology is growing at fast pace.
About the job in Gaming as a Career
Gaming is an exciting but strikingly competitive field where professionals are needed who have a good balance of creativity, fun, and technology. But creating a new game is not an easy job, as the competition rate is high and the game industry is changing on a quotidian basis while more and more games are invented. The foremost skills required in this field are innovation and passion. There are many career options within the field of Gaming technology. With a vast clientele, the opportunities in this sector are huge and fascinating.
Career options in the field of Gaming Technology are
1. Game Designers
Game Designers use their creative talents to silhouette and turn their vision into a working game. The main objective of the designer is to create a game, which encapsulates an engrossing plot and story to tempt users and prompt sales. After deciding upon a concept, they collaborate with concept technical associates to develop preliminary animations and the user interface and also with sound professionals to improve video game effects.
2. Game Programmers
Game programmers implement their learning and skills with computer languages and software to control characters, mobility and gameplay. Programmers write algorithms and programs for computer operations that command how the game functions.
3. Multimedia Artists
Multimedia artists can apply their hand-created drawing and computer software skills to abstract images, graphics, illustrations and models for game projects. A multimedia artist may create a character’s facial attributes or focus on improving background animation. Artists use various techniques including clay models and action sensors to invigorate and ameliorate credibility.
Some other options are-
- Character Animator
- Freelance Game Developer
- Script Writer
- Game Tester
- Game Modeller
- Level Designer
- Game Quality Assurance Tester
- Interactive Media Designer
- Level Scripter
Courses related to Gaming Technology
- B.Sc. in Gaming
- Bachelors in Media Animation & Design (BMAD)
- B.Sc. Animation & Gaming
- Bachelor of Science in Animation Game Design and Development
- Bachelor of Technology (B. Tech) – Computer Science and Game Development
- Bachelor of Arts (BA) in Animation & Computer Graphics
- Bachelor of Arts (BA) in Digital Filmmaking & Animation
- Bachelor of Science (B.Sc) in Graphics, Animation & Gaming
- Integrated M.Sc. in Multimedia & Animation with Game Art & Design
- M.Sc. in Gaming
- Master of Science (M.Sc) in Game Design and Development
- Master of Science (M.Sc) in Multimedia and Animation
Certificate and Diploma courses
- Certificate in Gaming
- Certificate course in Game Art & Design
- Diploma in Production Gaming
- Diploma in Game Design and Integration
- Diploma in Animation, Gaming and Special Effect
- Diploma in Game Design (DGD)
- Diploma in Game Development
- Diploma in Game Programming
- Advanced Diploma in Game Art & 3D Game Content Creation
- Advance Diploma in Game Programming
- Advance Diploma in Game Design and Development Application
- The minimum eligibility required for most of these courses is 10+2 or its equivalent.
- Gaming industry requires an extensive knowledge of computer programming in an object-oriented language such as C++ or Java. It is advisable student should start cultivating programming skills from their high school level, so that they can have a promising future.
- To apply for undergraduate courses, students should have successfully completed their higher secondary/ 12th class from any recognized board. For a Game programmer, B.E/ B.Tech degree in computer engineering is a must.
- For admission in postgraduate courses, candidates must have a related bachelor’s degree in the considered discipline or branch.
- For admissions in diploma courses, some colleges prefer minimum 60% marks criteria. For admission in certificate courses, the student should have qualified the 10th standard from any recognized board.
- Significant educational qualification in animation, game designing, game technology etc. is obligatory for a bright future in the Gaming industry.
Institutes and Colleges for Gaming as a career option
- Asian Institute of Gaming and Animation, Bangalore
- Global Institute of Gaming and Animation, Chennai
- Eden Animation & Gaming Academy, Bikaner
- Academy of Animation and Gaming, Gurgaon
- IIFA Multimedia (Institute for Interior Fashion and Animation), Bangalore
- Backstage Pass Institute of Gaming and Technology, Hyderabad
- University of Southern California (Los Angeles, CA)
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology (Cambridge, MA)
- Anglia Ruskin University, England
- London South Bank University, England
- Glasgow Caledonian University, Scotland
- Murdoch University, Australia
- University of Technology Sydney, Australia
Distance Learning Program
- Southern New Hamshire University, USA
- Herzing University, USA
- Colorado Technical University, USA
- CQ University, Australia
- The University of Edinburgh, UK
Some top and reputed recruiters
- Electronic Arts (EA)
- Digital Chocolate
The gaming industry is one of the highly paid profession. The pay scale and growth is dependent upon your perception, conceptualization, and development of the program. A trainee is generally paid around ₹ 7,000/- to ₹ 10,000/- per month, which gradually depending upon your work, may vary from anywhere between Rs.30,000/- to 70,000/- per month. In India, the average salary of a video game designer is around ₹ 4.5 lacs per annum.
Gaming technology is a field that offers diverse occupations, from designers to programmers. Each performs a specific function and requires different training. So if you are looking for something original, something cool here is the opportunity for you.